The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Jimmy Buffett
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2023 1:23 am    

This picture was posted on the Jimmy Buffett And The Coral Reefer FB page:

He frequently had a pedal steel player with his band, with I think Doyle Grisham in that role the longest. I was never a big fan until he performed at the hotel on St John I was lead bartender at and got to see his show live (2 years in a row, actually - last time with Alan Jackson and Kenny Chesney). I ended up impressed with the show and became much more of a fan. RIP and thanks for the music.

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2023 7:45 am     The loss of Jimmy Buffet is very sad

I can't remember when I didn't hear his songs. They are part of my soul that will never be erased. Rest in peace my dear friend.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2023 9:43 am    

He forged a laid back style that seemed to please most everyone. Hard not to enjoy his music and style. Rip Jimmy.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2023 1:33 pm    

Yeah, It's a tough day, RIP Jimmy, one of my first influences, Doyle Grisham on steel and all those early records he did. 'White Sport coat and a pink Crustacean', Living and Dying in 3/4 Time', 'A1A', 'Rancho Deluxe', my first introduction to steel guitar.

He made a lot of people happy and made an empire out of his music, wit, talent and determination!

My favorite show was in the late 70's at the Paladium in NYC just after a big snowstorm, I was in high school and was doing snow removal for 15 hrs. or so and was exhausted,but went to the show of course. It was during the Volcano tour, James, Alex, and Hughey Taylor were there that night for the show as the 'embarrassing stains' on background vocals. it was a great show. Broadcast live on the big FM station WNEW, the problem was that the heat didn't work that night and it was freezing cold and we were up in the nose bleeds next to an open door, but it was a great show and very memorable.

I was talking to Russ Kunkel a few weeks ago after the Lyle Lovett show and asked him if he was on that tour since he played on the album, but he didn't remember if he was, but said that the Taylor bros. didn't want to leave Monserrat while recording the album, having too good of a time.

This one hit hard, one of my favorite songs of his is 'Livinston's gone to Texas', the snows about to fall... Take care Jimmy!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2023 3:05 pm    

I'll be hitting my 70th birthday soon. I'm far from being a Parrot Head, but have always loved his music and persona. Such a great entertainer.

My condolences to his family and all the Parrot Heads out there.

Quote:
He made a lot of people happy and made an empire out of his music, wit, talent and determination!

The restaurants, hotels, and retirement communities didn't hurt!

~Lee

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2023 12:03 pm    

My wife and I made a dozen or so shows in the last 15 years in Houston, Austin,Las Vegas, and Frisco Tx. Always a great show with a great band as well as a great time. We met people from all over the world at that those shows. He was really sick the last year and Parrotheads knew his death was imminent. RIP Jimmy and thanks for all the good times!

"some of it's magic, some of it's tragic but it's been a good life anyway "

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2023 9:34 am     Re: RIP Jimmy Buffett

Douglas Schuch wrote:
This picture was posted on the Jimmy Buffett And The Coral Reefer FB page:

He frequently had a pedal steel player with his band, with I think Doyle Grisham in that role the longest. I was never a big fan until he performed at the hotel on St John I was lead bartender at and got to see his show live (2 years in a row, actually - last time with Alan Jackson and Kenny Chesney). I ended up impressed with the show and became much more of a fan. RIP and thanks for the music.

Doyle was the steel player in Jimmy Buffett's band-he was Jimmy's main steel guitarist, as well as the steel guitarist on his records. Doyle played GFI steels with Jimmy Buffett and sometimes would be seen playing an Emmons guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2023 7:42 am    

Garden Party loved Jimmy Buffett and we always tried to include his songs in our sets. A truly gifted fellow who is greatly missed….

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBCBXaIPlU
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2023 12:04 pm    

Damn. Just...hell, we're losing so many wonderful people . Everyone goes sometimes, but....

Crying or Very sad
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional