The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RKL and lower back pain
Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2023 11:39 am    

I play a lot of Dominant chords with AB/RKL, and 5 chords with LKR and RKL I get a lot of tension in my right hip as a result, and 3+ hours kills. I backed off the return springs on my RKL as much as I can get away with, and I've taken to playing the Dominant down 2 frets with AB/LKR to spend less time holding the RKL. Any other thoughts on this?

Bryce

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2023 3:41 pm    

s5,3or6B,2 or 3or6B,2,1
or for plain V chord, s5,2,1 (resolves to I chord with RKL)

I just watched Paul Sutherland videos on strings 1 and 2...I think that change was in one of those...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMc1jnapbT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3YfniPv2F4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PM7FULsjgs

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2023 7:43 am    

Go see a physical therapist and get your lower back in shape.

There was a recent discussion on locking levers and pedals that you might find interesting
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=393585&highlight=

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2023 11:46 am    

Can't tell without seeing a video, but this sounds like a seating position/posture issue. Keep in mind that if your steel is too low, it makes the side-moving levers harder to actuate, as the effort is being applied closer to the fulcrum.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 11:18 am    

Could be setup, technique, your chair, posture, lots of things... But I need to take breaks every hour, never have 3 hour sessions.

Western WA state? Within driving range of Patrick Timmons and John McClung? Those 2 super experienced diagnostic eyes would be an excellent bet.. My highest recommendations, especially ... both of them

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2023 6:05 pm    

Can you put your feet flat on the floor sitting on your seat?
If your seat is to high, This can cause problems. Making your legs to high on the knee levers to use the KL length to your advantage. Can put stress on legs and back.
If the guitar is short for your leg length can cause the problem also.

If your guitar is set up with short travel, But needs heavy pressure on the KLs to engage to note. The pull rods may need to be moved to holes closer to the cross shaft in the bell cranks. This will make for longer travel, But less pressure to engage and hold the lever in reaching the notes.

Gary Mahalak

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 1:42 am    

I've been down a similar road with my playing causing some nasty hip and back issues. What really helped me, aside from the usual adjustments, were some targeted stretches and exercises for those areas. Made a huge difference in endurance for those marathon sessions.

I ended up hitting up Freedom Physical Therapy in Edmonton when things got a bit too much. The crew there is pretty awesome and they've worked with musicians before, so they get the whole deal with repetitive strain and awkward positions. Might be worth a shot for you too, especially if you're looking to keep those sessions pain-free.