Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2023 4:13 pm    

Thank you forum
I would like to ask anyone of their first time impressions of these
Ans thanks bOb

Avery Bradshaw

Danville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2023 6:06 pm    

I use the lighter gauge set on my E9th. I love them. I get way more longevity out of the NYXL’s than any other sets I’ve tried and the tone is good and balanced.

Flip Brown

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2023 6:23 pm    

I'm a "terminal intermediate' when it comes to pedal steel, but I love these strings. They never break, stay in tune, and sound great.
MSA Millennium SD-10 #22, Fender Steel King with Eminence EPS-15C speaker, Lehle Mono 90 Volume Pedal, Sarno Black Box, Baby Bloomer, Sarno Earth Drive, EHX Mel 9, EHX Small Stone, Mooer Chorus, Keeley Caverns, Clinesmith bar, Acri picks, Nioma lap steel, Regal resonator, and a whole bunch of other instruments.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 3:10 am    

I tried them when I lived in Florida on my D-10 Franklin. I was given two sets. Hate the packaging with the color coded balls. Seemed stiff and didn't last any longer than others.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 4:14 am    

i like them.

the e9 gauges are perfect for most guitars (except sho buds).

i'm not sure how much different they are than 'normal' strings, and i'll often swap in a string from a different set if i break one with no discernible difference in tone.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 5:38 am     Strings

I’m in line with Jack…but I may get a set to try out again…

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 9:43 am    

In the 95 degree heat we gigged in yesterday with these strings (NYXL Light), opens, levers and pedals sagged from ½ up to to a full step down...stayed pretty solid (with small drifts) once everything was retuned...

Is that typical of any other strings?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 10:01 am    

Steve Lipsey wrote:

Is that typical of any other strings?

Yes. I would not blame the strings at all.
---------------------------------------------------

I tried a NYXL 12 string set -- actually, I bought a C6 set and a couple of singles to make up my E9/B6 needs. They sounded good and performed well.

I buy all my strings from juststrings.com in single-gauge dozen packs and the resultant difference in price per set vs. a set of NYXL's is so extreme that the D'Ads would have had to be way way way better than the juststring strings to get me to shell out the $$. For me, they are not. I'm too cheap to spend 3 or 4 times more for an incremental upgrade.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 2:11 pm    

Ive been using NYXL's (PF's gauges) for a few years now, and have found them the best for longevity and staying in tune well, and great tone ... love em, and have no issues with the coloured ball ends - pretty easy to work with all round.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 2:59 pm    

I did not like them at all. And I will sell them at 50 cents on the dollar shipped. I'll post it in the accessories for sale section to be legit. Please buy the whole lot—$ 5 for the plain strings and $40 for the wound Shipped.

042w x 5
036w x 5
030w x 5
026w x 5
018p x 5

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 3:48 pm    

I agree with Jon. The price difference didn't make sense for the slight increase in performance. I still use SIT or D'Addario.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2023 8:25 am    

I have 3 full sets and some spare plains on the way from JustStrings. I usually don’t notice much difference between string brands, so there better be something in NYXL’s that makes them twice the price better.

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2023 11:08 am     Nyxl strings

Thanks to all who commented…
I took the cobra coils off and put the nyxl’s on and….
Wow..what a difference…but
They tuned up faster than any string ever on any guitar Ive strung
Stay in tune so far perfect
Tone….Im thinking its me
Took the Bakersfield sound out of it
But..if it it gets too much Ive got One last set of Cobra Coils
God Bless you all

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2023 8:09 pm    

Just figured out that half-step sag in my newly-installed D'Addario NYXLs...it seems that I also hit the "½ step down" button on my tuner at the same time....and only on using my gig tuner a week later, which happened to be on a 95 degree day, did I see a sag, which actually wasn't real...but went away when I got home again, into the air conditioning...and the maladjusted tuner...
The NYXLs actually only dropped a tiny bit in the extreme heat and now perform flawlessly....

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2023 2:52 am    

Are there any shout-outs for Stringjoy strings? They look to be in the same price range as the NYXLs.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2023 6:09 pm    

I've used both Stringjoy and NYXL. I feel they're nearly interchangable. If you use custom sets, Stringjoy will do that, NYXL won't. Both excellent strings.

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2023 8:59 pm    

I’ve been using them pretty much since they first came out - the first set I put on felt oddly sticky to the bar, and I wasn’t happy. I posted here, asking if anyone else had had that issue, and received a private message from a representative of D’Addario, offering me a free replacement set to try them again. I said “sure!”, it seemed worth it to try again for free. He also sent me a little tin of a string cleaner, which was nice, although I don’t usually use those kind of products.

I put the replacement set on (I play Bb6 12 string so all my gauges are different than most players, I buy multiple single strings and make my own sets). They were wonderful, lasted a long time (I don’t change strings often anyway, not till the changes need regular adjustment), and they really worked for me. I also posted that here, mentioning how much they were standing by the product (most likely because they were new and didn’t want unhappy customers at the time).

I’ve used nothing else since then, don’t care about the cost. On my archtop I use Thomastik strings, so I’m used to paying a lot for strings.

Just my experience.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2023 9:18 am    

Hi John,

I read an older post (can't recall under what title...) that kind of explains NYXL's difference and popularity with some.

It was discribed as a "highly magnetic alloy", and that it's 'sharpness' in sound falls between nickel and stainless steel.

It has been said that all guitar strings are mostly the same. Some companies may get these "normal" strings and try freezing them, (or whatever else) to alter the string's sound. If something like that had been done to the "NYXL", I don't know....

But my experience with stainless steel was that it was too sharp sounding, and nickel was not sharp enough. I know that is all subjective, where some people may choose either side. But I choose the NYXL's because it sounded "just right".

It is different.......Pat.