The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal steel guitar bag for pedalboard/legs
Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2023 9:19 am    

Hi,
I'm getting older and having some back issues and not so interested in carrying heavy things around like pedal steels and Twin Reverbs anymore. I'm trying to cut down on the weight by dividing up the stuff in my pedal steel case.

About a year ago, a friend took mercy on me and gave me a bag designed for microphone stands for my steel guitar pedalboard and the legs and rods bag. Taking this weight out of the steel guitar case made all the difference to me and my back. This bag is an On Stage microphone stand bag, MSP6000 and it costs $41.95. It's well made, pretty heavy-duty, up to the task but it's 41 inches long and my pedalboard and leg bag slosh around inside it a bit, maybe too much. I use it with my Sho Bud Pro I.

So I been looking for another bag for my LDG with a better, tighter fit and I think I found it. It's a VidPro 35 inch Tripod Carrying Case with Strap. I got it on Amazon for $17.95. It's not quite as heavy duty as the On Stage bag but I think it's good enough and up to the task. As it turns out, my pedalboard for my Lloyd Green is 33" long so the fit is good and snug and no sloshing. The pedalboard for my Pro I is 34" long; I didn't know they were different lengths. The Pro I is circa 1978 and the LDG is 1981/1982.

Now, I have road cases for both of these steel guitars for touring but for in-town gigs where I drive my car, carry my own gear and set it up myself, I prefer to use the bags for the pedalboard and leg bag. I though I'd pass on this info in case there are others like me who want something that fits good, is heavy duty enough and is cheap and cheerful. So this solution isn't really for the touring musician but more for the in-town guys who want something with a good fit and a reasonable price. Your back will thank you!

Bob M.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2023 1:12 pm    

Bob, I've been using a keyboard gig bag to carry my pedal rack and leg bag. The 49 key size is pretty much the right length and there's room for more stuff. Here's what Sweetwater has.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KBA4049--on-stage-stands-kba4049-49-key-keyboard-bag

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2023 1:55 pm    

Thanks for the tip Bob. That little bag might just be what I need at a price I can handle.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2023 8:19 am    

Bob, I do the exact very same thing. Back problems! I found a hard shell light weight gun case for my pedal bar, legs and rods. Helps alot.

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2023 10:34 am     Bag from Sweetwater....

I bought this keyboard bag from Sweetwater for the legs,rods,and pedals. I'm thinking it needs some egg crate foam on the inside for a better fir. Anyone have any ideas where I might find some?

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2023 2:02 am    

Hi Bob.
Now, put the steel in a 49-key Gator padded keyboard soft case, and your back will really feel the difference. I haven't used a hard case, except to fly, for ten years now.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2023 2:51 pm    

I bought a rifle bag at Rural King for $18, and carry my legs,pedal rack & rods in that.
On more than one occasion, while setting up people have asked me if I plan to shoot up the club LOL!

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2023 4:09 pm    

Rich, that could turn out to be a real issue; a couple of years ago, a local band was loading in on a Friday afternoon out at Lulu's in Watkins. Somebody was carrying a mic stand in, a waitress got freaked out and called 911, law enforcement arrived in force, and it took a lot of hours and a lot of stress all the way around before things got straightened out. Whoa!