The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SKH Legrande Help advice needed
John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2023 3:17 am    

I have just welcomed this beautiful guitar to join the herd but am mystified by the extra hardware underneath and would like to know should I remove it?? video might explain....

https://youtu.be/89F_pcVGqvY

Many Thanks for any help.

I see the screw stop I mention is not relevant as its just for the knee lever next door.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2023 4:16 am    

The immobile cross shaft with the rods to the various fingers is a lower-return pitch compensator. It is intended to reduce the tendency of a lowered string to return sharp. There would be rubber O-rings between the nylon tuners and the changer on the rods to which it is connected (although my Williams does not have them and this confuses me).

I cannot and will not go into the theory or physics. If this issue of pitch return problems does not bother you and if you have no interest in taking advantage of the hardware, you can certainkly disable the whole thing numerous ways. Assuming that the rig is currently tuned & active, disabling it will require some retuning.

I go hot & cold on these. Some days they seem to do the job and others they seem to be more the cause of problems than the solution to them. User error? Probably.

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2023 7:06 am    

Thanks for the reply Jon, I am having trouble getting enough lower on my 3rd C6 neck, not sure if its the wear in transmission or if the extra bits have anything to do with it, I may remove those parts and see how well it works without...... I can always put'em back.
Would anyone else have an opinion before I get the tools out,? It is an early SKH number is in the 400's.