The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  J. D. Walters
Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2023 6:40 pm    

Just got the word that J. D. Walters passed away last night. This is really hard for me. He was such a Great Guy and a Great Steel Guitarist. He came and played two of my Steel Guitar Shows. J.D. played 7 years for Country artist Freddy Hart. He was Billie Jo Spears Steel Guitarist 2 years. When I met him he was Hank Thompson's Steel Guitarist. He played something like 11 years for Hank Thompson. He was Hank Thompson's last main Steel Guitarist! RIP J. D. Walters. Love you Brother!

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2023 6:25 am    

Thanks for the info Terry, JD was one of my favorite players! I love the instrumental lp he did with the Freddy Hart band back in the 70s. Great commerical e9 player

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2023 2:40 pm    

JD was an excellent C6 player and western swing musician. Loved his smooth style and swing licks. I was a fan of Hank Thompson and JD added the icing to the cake. RIP JD. My prayers for family and friends.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2023 5:06 pm    

We were all sadden to hear of JD's passing during the OSGA Show Saturday morning. Thoughts and prayers for the Walters Family for such a tremendous loss.

Michael Sullivan

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2023 10:17 am     Missing J D Walters 😟

It is overwhelming to hear that J D Walters has passed. I met him in 1982 when he moved from Nashville to Rhode Island. Buddy Emmons was advertised as playing in North Providence at Luca’s Music and he played before him. I couldn’t believe how fortunate I was when he said I could take lessons from him. He asked if I could come to his home so he didn’t have to rent out the space at the music store and as a result we started a lifelong friendship. I reconnected with him about six years ago and he laughed when he said, “ you know, you were the only student I ever had”. As a gift, he sent me one of his steel bars and a bunch of his CD’s. We continued to talk on the phone regularly and as his health declined I did my best to make him smile and laugh a little. Earlier this week, I intended to call him again but put it off as I got distracted with home projects. It’s a sad reminder to never put off moments like that for people you care about, it’s heartbreaking.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2023 5:07 am    

I just read this news about J.D.'s passing. I'm sorry to hear of this. We did some shows with Freddie Hart in the late 70s / early 80s. J.D. was such a nice person and great player.

I remember a show in Chicago in 1980 I believe... J.D. had just received a new Randall Steelman 500 amp. He let me try it during sound-check. I didn't have enough time to dial it in so I used my Evans for our part of the show but it sounded great with J.D. playing his Clark guitar through it.

My prayers and deepest sympathies go out for J.D.'s family and friends. He was a great guy and player.

Tommy Cass

Baldwinville, Ma. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2023 2:02 am    

So sorry to hear about JD's passing. He was a true gentlemen
and a great musician. JD invited me to stay in house, in Nashville, while I found work in Nashville. He was a true friend and humble man, who visited often and wowed me with his playing. My prayers are with the Walters family.

Danny Sherbon

San Angelo, TX
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2023 5:00 pm     Jd

I was so lucky to play a few shows with JD and he was so much a gentleman. I played steel in the band just before his group. He was always on the front row encouraging me. RIP my friend.

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2023 2:43 pm    

There is to be a Memorial Service on August 5th at Kingdom Hall in Bigsby Oklahoma at 3:00pm. JD was a Jehovahs Witness.

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2023 8:06 am    

So sorry to hear this he will always be one of my favourite players I play his CD's all the time so tastfull Rest in peace my friend.

Michael Weaver

Buffalo Grove, IL
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2023 2:21 pm    

I did a quick search on youtube and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ja_8IlNM_4