The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fishman Nashville Reso Pickup
Ned Pearson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2023 10:48 am    

I just purchased a Fishman Nashville Reso Spider pickup, which I have not installed yet.

I do not use a palm rest and rest my palm directly on the saddle. Does anyone know if this will cause problems with the pickup?

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 26 May 2023 1:38 pm    

One of the few players I know who doesn’t have a palm rest on his main guitar (Tim-built Scheerhorn) is Greg Booth. I believe he decided to go that route years ago because he had been a pedal steel player for decades prior to getting serious about dobro, and he doesn’t like the palm rest.

As a second guitar for plug-in use he has a more recent Nati-horn (Scheerhorn made at National Reso-Phonic here in California), and I believe that guitar has the Nashville installed. But I don’t recall if there is a palm rest on that guitar. When he comes down to the Bay Area from Alaska to play with The Kathy Kallick Band he always brings the Tim-built ‘horn and plays into a mic, it’s straight ahead bluegrass.

The cap on the Nashville is made of a very hard synthetic material, but for myself I would be very hesitant to use it as a substitute for a palm rest. Overall I think of the insert as being somewhat on the delicate side. And if it were damaged somehow from repeated “palm resting” it would be a very expensive replacement. Quite a contrast compared to damaging a regular insert, and if need be you can get a replacement from Beard’s Resophonic Outfitters for $10-$15.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 28 May 2023 1:34 pm    

And if you’re planning to install that pickup yourself, you probably ought to do a search on the problems involved.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 28 May 2023 6:00 pm    

I wouldn't do it. I recently purchased a Fishman Nashville Spider Pick-up which now has an ebony top with the piezo sandwiched between it and the maple bottom. It broke very, very easily when a small bit of force was applied durning installition. Fishman was very generous and supplied me with a new replacement free of charge, but you may not be so lucky.
My second attempt at installation was a success and sounds really nice! But, it is very delicate...and I use the palm rest.

Greg Booth

Anchorage, AK, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2023 11:28 pm    

Yes I have the Fishman Nashville pickup on my National Scheerhorn L Body like Mark says and it doesn't have a palm rest. I don't rest my hand on the bridge unless I'm doing a muting technique but even then the pressure is minute compared to the 200 some pounds of pressure in G tuning. Nothing to worry about.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2023 6:14 am    

Garry Vanderlinde wrote:
which now has an ebony top with the piezo sandwiched between it and the maple bottom.

Actually a man made, ebony substitute.No trees were harmed on the upper piece. Very Happy

h