The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Networking
winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2023 3:28 pm    

Hello, I want to network 2 computers, wireless laptop downstairs and a wired desktop upstairs. Both have Win 10 pro. Both running through the same router. I need to transfer wave and mp3 files along with documents. thanks in advance. Winston May

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2023 8:14 pm    

There are a number of ways to do this. You can set up a hard drive on one (or both) as a shared drive and log on to the share to move files around.

You could used a USB3.0 or 3.1 external hard drive formatted as NTFS and use it to move the files. I'd use a 2TB size hard drive - should be enough.

You could set up a 3rd computer as a server using Linux or a Windows server flavor (I still use an old version of Windows server (Win2k Server) - not recommended).

If your router allows it, you could hang a USB 3 or 3.1 external hard drive on it and access it with both your Win10 computers.

Lastly you could use a "cloud service" to hold your files. I do NOT recommenced using "cloud " services - there is no "cloud" and it puts your data at risk.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

winston

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 7:49 am    

Thanks Tony for the suggestions, I will try them. Winston

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 10:53 pm     Sneaker net

Winston, without knowing your knowledge of networking it's difficult to suggest a solution beyond loading the files on a usb stick and walking (sneakernetting) them from one machine to another.

Setting up a Linux machine will involve installing Samba shares on all machines involved. Not difficult if you are familiar with SMB (small message block) protocols.

Windows OS since NT 4 is designed to stop intrusions from other PCs on the same network. You can set up shared folders, but it can be a painful process that will break with updates and need to be redone occasionally.

Personally, I have a couple of Gmail accounts that I use as cloud storage. When I need to move a file up to 25mg I email it to myself and the download at a different machine.

USB sticks are cheap, and easy to use and at my age I can use exercise "sneakernetting" my file around the house!

I hope this helps

winston

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 7:53 am    

Walter, thanks for the tips I will try what I understand about them. thanks Winston