The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Uneven C-pedal
Erik Roos

Sweden
Post  Posted 24 May 2023 12:27 am    

Hi!
I need your help with an issue I’m having with my C-Pedal. The problem is that the E-string starts raising the second I touch the pedal where as the B-string needs to travel a few mm before anything happens. This results in the pedal having a horribly out of tune little half stop occurring when the B-string tuning nut hits the changer. It doesn’t bother me that much when pressing down the pedal since the stop is very light, but it’s definitely noticeable when I let off the pedal. You don’t feel it but you definitely hear it. There’s always a couple of mili seconds where it sounds really sloppy and out of tune.

I’ve tried loosening the screw in the bell crank and pulling the B-string tuning nut flat agains the changer. This makes the B string go really sharp when pressed down. If I then loosen the nut to where the string arrives in tune, I’m back with the same issue I had before.

It seems like I have to find a way of decreasing the amount of movement I get in the B-string from pressing C-pedal. Any tips and tricks here?

Both the E and B string rods are attached to a short bell crank with just two holes. Both of them attached to the upper hole when viewed upside down (the hole furthest away from the strings). Both the rods are attached to the lowest hole in the changer (also viewed upside down, closest to the strings). The changer is a 3x3. Guitar is an old single 10 MSA Classic SS II.

Thank you!
All the best
//Erik

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 May 2023 3:47 am    

Move the B string's rod to the hole closer to the cross shaft. This will make the pull less efficient which is what you want. If that is not enough, move the 5th string's rod to a changer hole further from the strings. Same thing -- less efficient. Between these two points of adjustment you should be able to get it just right.

See my "Overtuning" post, a sticky at the top of this page. It gives an overview of the pulling dynamics as well as a discussion of what you need to be sure to avoid.