The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Maurice Anderson... One Decade
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2023 6:43 am    

Ten years ago today we lost the great Maurice Anderson. At the time of his death, I was on his calendar for another lesson from him in late August of that year. I have since dug even further into his recordings than I had access to at the time (which was still quite a few). What an exceptional musician! Reece, we all miss you!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2023 8:31 am    

I was just researching Reece's information yesterday. I was reminded of his influence on the steel community and the impact the MSA company made. He was always active even after the original steel mfg. was stopped.

To revive the steel guitar manufacturing operation again in the early 00's was a huge undertaking and a blessing to the community.

Although I never knew him personally, his pleasant demeanor and kindness was always apparent when I would see him at the shows.

A fine gentleman and suberb all around player particularly jazz, big band, gospel and standards.

One of my favorites is on the Body and Soul round robin recording on one of Dave Burley's productions.

RIP Reece.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2023 2:49 am    

Reece Anderson and I were friends for 35 years. He was a Great Guy and Great Steel Guitarist. He became a Mentor and he was a person that was like a spiritual advisor to me. He was a Christian and loved the Lord Jesus Christ. I miss him a lot! RIP Reece Anderson

Andy Gibson

Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2023 6:50 am    

I recently found a copy of the moods of Maurice Anderson aka the sound of MSA Volume 1 thru 5. Really great stuff. Especially vol 1 jazz/pop. I wish I knew about those records earlier.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2023 9:57 am    

When HowardR hosted Reece on his trip to New York, I was able to show Reece Central Park which he had never seen before and then I took him around for lunch. He hadn't been to new york since the 40's or 50's. What a great trip and what a great time just hanging with Reece.

Steven Cummings

Texas
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2023 2:49 am    

He is missed.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2023 8:09 am    

I have the old Steel Guitarist magazines and the later Steel Guitar World set with a lot of Reece articles, thoughts and personal observations. I was just reading some of them.

He's still with us in that media as well as in the hearts of those who were close to him.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2023 12:51 pm    

Exceptional man and amazing player.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2023 3:18 am    

Maurice was a Very Special influence in my life. He put the first set of picks on me in 1970, and he started me on my adventure of steel playing, I study with him till the end of his life..I miss him everyday.. He loved Steel guitar, playing and teaching...The picture of me and the two girls are his Daughters, taken last year on the 4th...R.I.P .....

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2023 5:49 am    

Hearing Reece was what got me interested in pedal steel. We corresponded a few times and he was always very encouraging. His jazzier recordings remain a huge inspiration for me, the man could swing.
Cool photos David, I love the one with his Bigsby and the one with the 2x12 Session 400, you don’t see those everyday.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2023 2:05 pm    

I had the privilege of working along side Reece at MSA from 2003 to 2008. It was an honor to know him and be a small part of something he and others created. God rest his soul. I'm a better man for knowing him.