The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Un-Doing a Emmons half stop
John D Miller

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2023 11:24 am    

Hello PSG player and builders, Have a 1995 Emmons Legrande II that the RKR half stop has stopped working (as well as the full lower). Worked fine for years on both necks. The half stop (D# to D) was only on the second string front neck. Then fully engaged it took the D down to C#.

On the back neck it was set to just take 3rd string up from D to D# and lower the 7th string down from E to D#. Never tuned or monkeyed with the half stop, always worked very well. But did have to “feel” where it needed to be pushed to get the D natural at each practice session or gig.

Below is a link to a video of what it looks like from underneath. I have a feeling that the rod should NOT just be sailing thru.
I like the half stop but I find myself not using the full step drop to C# much if at all on the second string. I am needing the solid D on the front neck and solid D sharps (for those two strings) on the back neck.

Can somebody advise on the best way to un-do the half stop and make a just a regular RKR? Do I need additional parts?

https://youtube.com/shorts/uAdNsbHO2QE?feature=share

Thank you for any help on this.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 22 May 2023 12:18 pm    

No additional parts needed whatsoever. The pullrod that lower the 2nd string might need to be relocated to a hole closer to the cross-shaft in order to be in sync with the other two pulls on the other neck. If you are lucky then maybe all that is needed is to back off the nylon tuner for the 2nd string so it only lower to D instead of C#. The half stop mechanism should be possible to adjust so there is no half stop at all. Should be no need to remove that rod with the springs unless it creates unwanted mechanical noises.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7