The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ralph Mooney and Waylon Jennings
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2023 9:49 am    

Just curious about the story of Moon going with Waylon. I know Moon was based in Southern California in the late 50s early 60s playing on Buck Ownes and Merle Haggard recordings, but anyone know what year and how he met up with Waylon? I think Moon played ShoBud most of his career too!

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2023 12:51 pm    

https://youtu.be/P4ZXmhNA-FY

Good place to start down the rabbit hole...

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 May 2023 1:47 pm    

Can't tell you when they met up or the circumstances surrounding that, but I have some recording listings for Moon. He did a recording with Jessie Colter in 1970, so they at least had met by then, probably way before as he was in with that bunch with Wynn Stewart, Merle Haggard and Waylon out west in the 60s. I'd guess it was through that association.

He recorded well over 30 projects with Waylon.... the earliest listing I have is 1971 RCA LSP 4487 The Taker/Tulsa.

If you have Steel Guitar World Magazines, his discog is listed in that. March/April 1993 Vol.2 Issue 10 along with an interview of him with Russ Rask and Billy Barnett. The interview is a delight to read with Moon's humor interjections

What a character he must have been in his younger days.

His list of recordings is massive, some with artists I've never heard of.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2023 4:08 pm    

Thanks Michael and Jerry!

Craig Robson

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 31 May 2023 2:16 pm    

The Cocaine and Rhinestones podcast posted in the youtube link above is terrific.

and, just because I'm here, if you haven't seen Waylon's Austin City Limits from 1989 it's really quite a good show and Mooney shines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZvqQMeOEd8

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2023 5:18 pm    

I did listen to the Cocaine and Rhinestones podcast, given in the link, lots of good interesting info.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 31 May 2023 5:53 pm    

Ralph Mooney was in Waylon's band in 1983, and there's a video where Waylon is singing "A Couple More Years", in which Waylon calls on Ralph to play a steel solo, and he says, "Listen to the Moon". Mooney was Merle Haggard's steel player before Norm Hamlet came to the Strangers band in 1967. In the nineties, after Ralph Mooney had left Waylon's band, Robby Turner played steel with Waylon. Ralph Mooney played a Sho-Bud Super Pro with Waylon, then played GFI guitars later on. Ralph joined Waylon's band sometime in the seventies after drummer Rich Albright introduced him to Waylon after a conversation with guitarist Roy Nichols at a show in California
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2023 7:38 am    

Don't know if this helps... but I saw Ralph Mooney playing steel with Wynn Stewart, opening for Buck Owens... way back in 1967-8... Sacramento, CA.