The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Open E tunings/ tabs for 6 string lap steel
Robin Moore

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2023 11:33 am    

Yup I’m still a newbie. I am looking for tab sheets on any Open E tunings. I just received my lap steel back from 2 years with my son in law and much got ruined and just had it repaired. The saddle bridge was severely messed up, now repaired again. New strings, but tuned to Open E. I love the sound, tone where it’s at, but I am trying to remember now, after two years, where / how to specifically locate songs to play in open E tuning. In the tabs for non pedal, Seems not much luck searching that way. What’s a better way to search, I enjoy the older CW music. Any help possible would be much appreciated, I guess I am not ready to back to C6 yet. Thank you in advance… pardon if this is the wrong place to post this question.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 15 May 2023 4:12 pm    

My advice would be to seek out open D tabs which should be more common.
You can use those D tabs with E tuning, as open E, relative to itself, is the same intervallically as open D, except that it is pitched a step higher.
The only thing you would have to do is if you are playing with others or playing over a backing track, is consider that what your playing sounds a step higher than written.
So if it says you’re playing a G chord, you’re actually playing and A chord, etc…

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2023 5:26 pm    

I recently discovered that I have an extra copy of this book that I don't need (Complete Steel Guitar Method by Roger Filiberto):

It teaches E7 tuning (low-high: BDEG#BE). There isn't a bit of tablature in it though. He teaches you how to play from standard music notation by learning how to read music and learning where the various notes are located on the fretboard. Lots of basic intro material in front and lots of practice songs and exercises follow ... but no tablature. If you're interested in trying this method, send me your mailing address in a PM and I'll send it to you for free. Did I mention that there's NO TABLATURE?

-Dave

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 16 May 2023 2:12 am    

As well as a few in Open E, I have many song tabs in Open D which , as noted above, is the same as open E, just a whole step lower. https://www.volkmediabooks.com

As you see here, Open E's intervals are on fret 2 in Open D ...

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2023 4:47 am    

David Venzke wrote:
I recently discovered that I have an extra copy of this book that I don't need (Complete Steel Guitar Method by Roger Filiberto):

It teaches E7 tuning (low-high: BDEG#BE).
-Dave

Lots of useful info in that book...and that tuning is one I find useful even today.

I also got to meet Mr. Filiberto, he was quite a gentleman.

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 17 May 2023 2:42 pm    

Robin, I have many Tablatures for the E major 6 string tuning. You can email me for more information.
roythomson@eastlink.ca

Try this link for a sample: There goes My Everything"

https://soundcloud.com/roy-thomson/there-goes-my-everything-e-major

Robin Moore

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2023 12:22 pm    

David Venzke wrote:

It teaches E7 tuning (low-high: BDEG#BE). There isn't a bit of tablature in it though. He teaches you how to play from standard music notation by learning how to read music and learning where the various notes are located on the fretboard. Lots of basic intro material in front and lots of practice songs and exercises follow ... but no tablature. If you're interested in trying this method, send me your mailing address in a PM and I'll send it to you for free. Did I mention that there's NO TABLATURE?

-Dave

I sent a PM, thanks. Robin

Robin Moore

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2023 12:31 pm    

Thanks everyone. This has given me a bit to look at and hopefully go after. Not currently where I can do much right now due to work. But will get these links checked out in the next few days. I sure appreciate how everyone here is so responsive.