The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Split cases, weight vs additional piece
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2023 5:07 am    

I’m considering going to split cases for my Mullen G2. The SD10 in the case is 55#. The question for those of you that have gone to split cases, does the weight savings justify dealing with the additional case?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2023 5:11 am    

What happened to your piano bag & Rifle bag, split cases?

That seemed like the lightest way to go provided you are handling your own equipment.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2023 5:38 am    

Those were good for weight savings, but didn’t offer the protection I wanted, based on the way I load in and out. I’m thinking hard cases will be the way to go. My roadie quit, so I am loading my own gear!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 May 2023 7:09 am    

Answer's going to differ according to each person's priorities. Myself, hands-down, I'll opt for more trips to/from the car vs. fewer, heavier trips. 20 years ago I'd probably answer differently. Remarkably, things aren't getting lighter as I age and the anti-grav they promised me has yet to materialize.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2023 12:37 pm    

I had a set of split cases made because it cut down on weight. After awhile I realized …. for me ….. it wasn’t all that great. I found

1) I was carrying and packing two pieces instead of one.
2) To assemble or disassemble the steel we usually stand in front of the opened case and go through the motions standing in one place. With split cases I had to find a space for the leg/rod case, preferably nearby, and then kind of work out of (or into) both the cases. At first I thought I’d just have to get used to it but I actually grew to not like it.

Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2023 2:06 pm    

When I got my Sho-Bud, it still had the original case. It was in good shape, but the size made it bulky and unwieldy to move around. I bought a split-case set, and never looked back.

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 6 May 2023 3:42 pm    

I'm still doing the keyboard-gig-bag-as-DIY-second-case and it's working out fine. No problems with having an additional piece to carry around. It all fits on the 4 wheeler (a Rock'n'Roller R-Eight), so everything loads in/out in one trip.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 7 May 2023 2:04 pm    

Ive been using Red Dirt Split cases for a few years now - I don't fly with them (I use a SKB trap case for that) ... but for my normal show/pub gigs the splits work great... they provide really good protection for my guitars, and I can still make one trip from the truck - the body case has wheels and I carry the leg case in my spare hand ! But the weight saving, compared to having everything in one case, is still worth it for me !! Both my Zum Hybrids and my Franklin will fit the case so it's perfect !!!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 7 May 2023 3:59 pm    

If not before your first hernia operation then definitely after it, money well spent.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2023 4:31 pm    

Roger I did just receive a G2, and I did order a split case. Now the main is still heavy (I came from a GFI D10) but I would definitely do it.

FYI the small case is odd in that it doesn't stand up (tips over) when open and seems overkill for what it holds. I need some type of quiver shaped bag or something for the legs & pedal board that will weigh even less.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 7 May 2023 7:24 pm    

I tried split cases for a while and went back to single case. I use a folding cart /hand truck and can load in in one trip. The split cases ended up being cumbersome and more work.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2023 4:43 am    

Red Dirt cases from MSA are nice.
I would rather make an extra trip with lighter equipment.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 10 May 2023 6:41 am    

Roger, I have 2 sets of split cases for different Steels. One set has wheels on the main case and the other does not. If you decide to go with split cases I would strongly recommend getting wheels on the main case. It makes handling much easier, I use a tote cart with the case that has no wheels. Carrying equipment from a vehicle to the gig location gets longer and longer as we age…

There are a number of excellent split cases on the market to fit your needs, plus make sure to get them custom fit…

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2023 8:14 am    

I went to Rural King & bought a rifle bag for $18, which I use for legs,rods & pedal bar. Will never go back to single case, especially as I am older & also have a hernia.

I have been asked on a couple occasions if I am gonna shoot up the place when they see me walk in with the rifle bag...I'll usually respond "no, as long as no one requests "Sweet Home Alabama" or "Free Bird".

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2023 10:46 am    

In my case, I had to go to split cases because of my back. I just can't lug around a heavy case with legs, rods and pedal board, and guitar body. Splitting up these items with a small plastic cheap gun case actually works. Still for my back I feel twinges of pain with every step when packing the steel body in case. My steel is a heavy Emmons pp too. But all in all it does help me and I really don't notice the extra room taken up by the second case.

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 17 May 2023 10:58 am    

I ordered a split case for my G2 after about a year with the single heavy case. Yes very much worth the investment and it being built by Mullen I knew it would fit everything perfectly and of course it did.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 May 2023 2:06 pm    

Split cases don’t usually save any weight. In fact, they usually increase the total weight slightly. They do make it somewhat more manageable, though, as the weight is carried by two hands instead of one.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 17 May 2023 3:37 pm    

I'm using a keyboard case and a gun case. So much weight saving. I can actually carry my guitar. For a little more protection if you can get Steve Hinson with Brand X cases to make split cases those are great too.

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2023 4:22 pm    

This has worked out well

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SKBH3611--skb-1skb-h3611-ata-trap-case

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2023 4:45 pm    

I love split cases. I'm know longer overweight on airlines and they're much easier on the back. I can also put extra stuff in the leg case if I'm doing a fly date.

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2023 4:45 pm    

I love my split cases. I'm no longer overweight on airlines and they're much easier on the back. I can also put extra stuff in the leg case if I'm doing a fly date.
Mine are the fiber ones made by Steve Hinson.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2023 5:30 pm    

Another vote for Steve Hinson’s Brand X cases here, Roger. He, Travis Toy, and probably others, successfully fly their guitars in them

I have a set of Red Dirts but have only used them for flying a few times. My loaded 9x9 G2 body in the Red Dirt is 62 lbs. but it does have wheels. So not a lot of weight savings there.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2023 7:03 pm    

Rich Upright wrote:
I went to Rural King & bought a rifle bag for $18, which I use for legs,rods & pedal bar. Will never go back to single case, especially as I am older & also have a hernia.

I have been asked on a couple occasions if I am gonna shoot up the place when they see me walk in with the rifle bag...I'll usually respond "no, as long as no one requests "Sweet Home Alabama" or "Free Bird".

Rich that is perfect and I didn't even think of that. I got LOTS of those already!