The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gordon Lightfoot, RIP
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 5:59 pm    

So sad to see that Gordon Lightfoot has passed at age 84. A huge musical influence for me and many of my generation. It is reported that, on his deathbed, he told his longtime friend and booking agent, "We've had a good run". They sure did. He was still touring and pretty much died with his boots on. RIP and my condolences to his family and friends and, of course, to our own Ed Ringwald (aka Peewee Charles), who played steel for him for many years.

Daniel Dickie

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 6:11 pm    

RIP Gordon Lightfoot. Love his music.
Might put a record of his on now.
One of my favourites is Old Dan's Records but he had so many great songs

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 6:21 pm    

One of the all-time greats. Affair on 8th Ave. is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

John Viterito

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 7:28 pm    

Devastating news. My singer-songwriter hero. Thank you so much, Mr. Lightfoot, for all of the beautiful music you left us. RIP.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 8:42 pm    

One of my all time favorite songwriters. My son and I saw him in a live concert about 7 years ago and it was fantastic!

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2023 10:16 pm    

I share a deep sadness. A troubadour songsmith who persisted wizardly, devotedly and elegantly, as other styles around him faltered and faded. He was a consistent contributor and a marvelous template for many, many admirers. He later added the special tones of a pedal steel, that seemed to augment his tales of tribulations and triumphs. A very favored vinyl I have is the Curly Chalker “Nashville Sundown”, a steelers sampler of his most famous tunes. (Google/YouTube up this landmark album from 1976. And enjoy it.) You’ll be missed, Gordie.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2023 2:58 am    

RIP Gordon, You were one of the best, my older brother and myself were big fans of him!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2023 3:53 am    

This is a sad day. Gordon was not only a Canadian Treasure but a worldwide one as well. Musically I always thought he was unique to his own style, even though different genre's tried to claim him. Still it seemed Gordon just did Gordon and what Gordon did was VERY Special.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2023 4:00 am    

One of my favorites and a large influence on my musical journey in my youth. Gordon had a special way of delivering his message in a song that painted a story you could feel. RIP Gordon Lightfoot.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2023 4:42 am    

Indeed GL had quite the career. He came out a year long coma 20 or so years ago. He was a survivor. I am a big fan.
"Carefree Highway" is my favorite and hits home.
RIP

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 2 May 2023 6:07 am    

My friend Clemens, who is no longer alive, and I espcially loved to play Cotton Jenny and other Lightfoot songs in the mid-seventies together. RIP Mr.Lightfoot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUeTVLZoMeg

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2023 12:24 pm    

Always was a fan.His Edmond Fitzgerald is my favorite and living in Michigan I still play this every November.
I was asked at one gig if I knew it, said no but would learn it and asked when the person would be returning. they said in a week. well I busted B_ _ _s learning it. This was about 15 years ago, never have seen the person since but I still play it.

RIP Gordon

Sam

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 2 May 2023 5:55 pm    

Canadian Railroad Trilogy was one of the primary songs that pushed me over the edge into playing steel.

Gordon Lightfoot will always be an unforgettable sound, and a true symbol of Canada.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 2:44 am    

Jack Stanton wrote:
One of the all-time greats. Affair on 8th Ave. is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

I agree; one of my favorite Gordon songs.
I would describe most of his music as hauntingly beautiful..Saw him live in the mid 70s at Avery Fisher; took my Mom as he was her favorite singer.
I will miss his talent.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 4:25 am    

A huge loss...Thank you for all your wonderful and evocative music Gordon...RIP...and thanks to Ed for the dobro and sending me Gord's Gold 20 years ago..

Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 7:17 am    

My first exposure to GL was in my mid-teens. My folks had purchased his "Summer Side of Life" album. I nearly wore out that vinyl disc with my non-stop listening. My (and my mom's) favorite cut on that album was "Miguel". The storytelling of that song stuck with me throughout my life.

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 7:36 am    

How can you not be influenced by Gordon Lightfoot? A master of the folk tradition and a superb songwriter and performer.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 8:48 am    

I’m am not an avid fan of Gordon, just one who has been mystified by everything that ever appeared on the radio since If You Could Read My Mind, still one of my favorite songs. Every one of his singles in the 70s really had a lasting impression on my own writing, in particular Sundown. He will be greatly missed but his music will live on for generations.

Which of his songs do you think will make a stunning reemergence in twenty or thirty years? I think The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald for one.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 9:40 am     Here’s an Immortal

Rick Beato: Ep.94. The genius Gordon used in studio. As long as duos, trios play Coffee houses. ‘Read my Mind’ will remain indelibly.

John Viterito

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 12:21 pm    

Mike.... Definitely "If you Could Read My Mind", "The Wreck", and "Sundown" will live on for many decades, if not forever. Speaking of "If You Could Read My Mind", I just discovered a cover of this by non other than Skeeter Davis. If anyone loves this song while also appreciating and wanting to learn steel, this cover will push you over the edge into learning our wonderful instrument.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2023 9:20 am    

Quote:
Which of his songs do you think will make a stunning reemergence in twenty or thirty years? I think The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald for one.

You can bet that The Wreck will be played A LOT on November 10, 2025 and 2075.
Having grown up in a town on the Lake Erie shore near where a few crew members lived, I can say the song literally hit home for the Great Lakes community.

But I think If You Could Read My Mind is the more universal of his big hits, and Sundown is just so cool!

I first heard Alberta Bound while driving across the plains of Saskatchewan. It just sounded like one of those perfect songs that has always been there, and is an unforgettable moment for me. Little bit of dobro on it too, by Canadian instrumentalist Red Shea.

RIP to one of the greatest. So long, Sundown.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2023 4:38 am    

This one hurts. Gord really knew how to tell a tale.
"Canadian Railroad Trilogy" and "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" are but two of his very timeless songs.

When I first discovered "Wreck" I probably listened to it at least 10 times in a row. The way he payed tribute to those tragic lost souls with such a classy haunting ballad is just timeless.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2023 8:06 pm    

Gordon Lightfoot died just a few weeks after Harry Belafonte also died. In the music section of the forum I posted a video where Belafonte performed a Lightfoot song. They were linked by more than just the coincidence of passing within a few weeks of each other. Both were contemporary cultural icons of their time. Belafonte was one of the performers who gave exposure to Lightfoot's material.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2023 7:38 am    

They are going to turn the light on at the Split Rock Lighthouse on Lake Superior in memory of Gordon Lightfoot. Very Happy
Erv

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 6 May 2023 4:41 pm    

My favorite was The Wreck Of The Edmond Fitzgerald. Such a haunting and eerie song actuated by Pee Wee Charles playing the steel giutar.