The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to tune C6 pedals and knees by ear?
Jimmy Washington

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 9:38 am    

Is there an easy way to do this like there is with e9?

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 12:28 pm    

Jimmy, I tune my C6 by ear, but I start out by using a tuner to get the E strings, then I work strictly just on the strings that produce the major chord, strings 2, 3, 5, 6,7, and 10 which are the E, C, G, E, C and low C notes.
Then I work on strings 4 and 8 which give the sixth chord, finishing up with the 1st and 9th strings. Course this is all open and depends on my ear to hear the strings sounding all in tune. I then recheck the Es with the tuner.
For me I can still hear stuff out of intonation so to speak if I only use a tuner, which is why I still rely on my ear.

With the pedals and knees, pretty much by ear too. But I've been playing steel now since 1968 pretty much constantly too. So my method may not work for all. Pedals and knees for C6 is not really a method for me, I just check each pedal as I go. And really I never have that much trouble with my steel going out of tune so that helps.
If I do hear something out I will take my tuner which is always plugged in to steel on gigs. I'll check my E and the major chord strings that I mentioned above.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 3:56 pm    

I use a sweetened tuning on E9, but on C6 (which in my case is the B6 side of a uni 12) I tune all the changes to straight up ET as there are too many aug and dim changes for JI to hold up.

Nikolai Shveitser

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2023 8:17 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=361357&highlight=

I've wondered this before.
I've found JI using harmonics works for most strings/changes but i have to temper closer to ET on the 5th string G-F# change and the 6th string E-Eb to get the diminished chord to sound good. The other question is what to tune the 1st string D to- the G or the A note? I tune to the A note since that makes it sound better in F chord and D chord contexts (but not so over an open G chord with p7). Maybe compensators are in order for me? Confused