The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal question?
Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 8:27 am    

I have a volume pedal that has a second pot in it, with a knob on the side. Can someone please tell me what that is for? And, what does it do. I think I read something about Weldon Myrick having one like that. I'm in the process of fixing a few old volume pedals, so I'll have at least one spare. I've discovered that I'm not very good at soldering. Thanks for any advice. Tommy.....

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 8:44 am    

If there is a capacitor connected to ground from the pot on the inside of the pedal it is a tone control.

If it's connected directly to the other pot it may be a trim pedal to optimize a certain part of the pedal's travel.

Can't think of anything else it could be

As for soldering skills, use a 50-70 watt pencil tip soldering iron, first attach and heat the parts together, then flow solder onto the heated surfaces and not the pencil, and lastly hold them still until the solder cools. If it's not shiny after it cools something moved early and it's likely to fail, so heat it up and try again.
Patience matters (says the guy who's dog hid under the bed yesterday because of all the cussing involved in installing an effects loop in my Webb and a new pickup switch on my Fessy) and like everything else worth doing it gets better with practice, provided you're doing it right in the first place

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 9:24 am     Volume pedal question?

I have 2 volume pedals that have the second pot with the knob on the side. One is an Ernie Ball with the in and out jack sockets on the side instead of the front where they usually are. Never seen one like that. It has no capacitor. the 2 pots are just connected to each other. The other is an Emmons pedal, and I can see the second pot. It's very hard to read, but it has-- use swe switch-- engraved on it. I can't make out any ohm's. There's no capacitor on that one either. They must be something special, otherwise, why would someone want that? Thanks, Tommy.....

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 9:26 am    

Hi Tommy

Do a Forum Search (in the Electronics Section) for "Myrick Mod"

You'll find a lot of useful info......including wiring diagram

'History says' says Weldon came up with the mod idea since his amp on Opry Stage was too far a distance behind him to quickly get to in order to change his amps' tone settings.

I have an identical Emmons VP with Myrick Mod but disconnected the Mod pot.....the Mod's Pot's ability to affect tone was not as desirable to me as modifying tone settings directly on amp.

I suggest you experiment with your Myrick Mod VP and share your findings. Looking forward to your results....

Ron

Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 5:32 pm    

I also installed and later abandoned the Myrick mod. It did change the volume curve a little but I'm happier without it.

I have a boss volume pedal with a 2nd knob that controls the minimum volume.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 6:06 pm    

I have a Goodrich with a large black knob on it. I haven't used it for decades but as I remember it adjusted the taper or how fast or slow the volume goes up or down. I'm going to refurb that and see how I like it.