The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginner steel guitars around/shipped to New England
Jayanth Uppaluri

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2023 11:24 am    

Hey Steel Guitar Forum!

I'm a somewhat experienced musician (drums and bass guitar, with some piano and guitar too) who has caught the pedal steel bug recently. As such, I'm looking for my first pedal steel guitar.

I am a college kid, which limits my budget somewhat... I'm really looking for something in the $800-$1700 range. I know this forum doesn't like Carter Starters, but something like that would be perfect for me, as someone who doesn't really know the instrument and may not end up continuing it. If there's someone with a spare used Carter Starter (or a used StageOne/Justice/Mullen Discovery/GFI starter) who is in New England (I split time between Massachusetts and New Hampshire) or willing to ship to New England within that price range. I'm also looking at new Growlers or new Justices (I'd look at a StageOne or Encore, but they are sold out until next year and I'd rather not wait that long!). Or if y'all have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Know this probably isn't going anywhere, but it doesn't hurt to ask in case any of you good folks have spare pedal steels that you aren't using... thanks again!

P.S: For those who have made it to the bottom of the post, any drummers who also play pedal steel? Does the hand/foot coordination translate at all?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2023 2:05 pm    

there's a Sho-Bud Maverick, a Fender 400, and the Growlers currently listed on the first page of the Steels For Sale section, all within your price range. other affordable and/or student models will pop up from time to time and most sellers will ship. best of luck

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2023 4:27 pm    

I was a rock/Mowtown Soul drummer before switching to steel guitar 52+ years ago. Being a drummer won't really help, and you might have trouble taming your bass drum foot to keep from pumping the volume pedal constantly. I took a piece of 2x4 about the size of a volume pedal, put a block on under one end so it angled up like a volume pedal. That helped me develop the muscles and muscle memory in my ankle. The most horrible sound is the sound of a pumping volume pedal.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 7:35 am    

A Justice S10 fully loaded is at the outer limits of your budget. Go here to see the pricing:

https://justicesteelguitars.com/justice-s10/

IMHO, this is a pro guitar at a great price. You will have everything you need to learn and play standard e9 tuning. The setup can be changed to your liking, as many players do. Whenever Justice guitars come up on the Forum, they sell quickly.

I have a friend who bought a Justice Pro 1. Great looking, great playing, and great customer service. Ron Anderson was great both before and after the sale. Happy Hunting!!

Jayanth Uppaluri

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 10:52 am    

Jim Kennedy wrote:
A Justice S10 fully loaded is at the outer limits of your budget. Go here to see the pricing:

https://justicesteelguitars.com/justice-s10/

IMHO, this is a pro guitar at a great price. You will have everything you need to learn and play standard e9 tuning. The setup can be changed to your liking, as many players do. Whenever Justice guitars come up on the Forum, they sell quickly.

I have a friend who bought a Justice Pro 1. Great looking, great playing, and great customer service. Ron Anderson was great both before and after the sale. Happy Hunting!!

Yeah if there's nothing cheaper that shows up near Massachusetts, I'm probably going to buy a Justice. Thought I'd see if there were any New Englanders on here with beginner pedal steels before I make that kind of investment though!

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 3:46 pm    

Hey Jayanth, what part of Massachusetts? I live in the Pioneer Valley, and pedal steels are pretty rare in the wild out here, from what I've seen. There was one GFI at my regular music shop for awhile, but I never considered it because it's so far from what I want and need.

I think you've gotten good advice about the Justice. I lucked out with my current guitar (thanks, K Maul!), and by a small miracle of coincidence didn't need to ship it. But chances are you're going to have to ship any guitar you buy. And if you're just starting out and just want a guitar that sounds good, stays in tune, and can be adjusted yourself, I'd say go with a Justice. It'll be worth the money and wait to have the full standard E9 setup on a new guitar. Then you can just focus on learning.

Jayanth Uppaluri

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 7:39 pm    

Andrew Goulet wrote:
Hey Jayanth, what part of Massachusetts? I live in the Pioneer Valley, and pedal steels are pretty rare in the wild out here, from what I've seen. There was one GFI at my regular music shop for awhile, but I never considered it because it's so far from what I want and need.

I think you've gotten good advice about the Justice. I lucked out with my current guitar (thanks, K Maul!), and by a small miracle of coincidence didn't need to ship it. But chances are you're going to have to ship any guitar you buy. And if you're just starting out and just want a guitar that sounds good, stays in tune, and can be adjusted yourself, I'd say go with a Justice. It'll be worth the money and wait to have the full standard E9 setup on a new guitar. Then you can just focus on learning.

I live around the Boston area, and split my time between there and the middle of New Hampshire. Doesn't look like any of the shops around here have pedal steels unfortunately, though I'd love to see what the Pioneer Valley has! I appreciate the advice, and that is almost certainly what I am going to end up doing. But if there's something that pops up around here beforehand, I'd be all for it! There's gotta be a couple Carter Starters floating around New England...

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 5:44 am    

I would avoid a Carter Starter, go with the Justice, I’ve been playing a Justice Pro-Lite for six years now, great instrument, I live on the Southern Coast of Maine, if you’re in the area, come visit.

Dan Ray

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 9:34 am     Drummer

Hi there, I started my journey, September 2020 and drums are/is my main instrument. I really do believe that the coordination translates well. I've not really struggled with pedal and lever combinations or timing. It's really allowed me to focus on pick blocking and bar accuracy and basically everything besides knee and foot stuff.

Jayanth Uppaluri

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 6:29 am    

Appreciate the perspectives from both Dan and Richard. Gonna try to see if something else pops up here, but if not, I'll probably spring for a Justice.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 8:50 am    

Billy Cooper's steel guitar shop in Orange Va is a good place to look. Granted its not New England but he always has new and used steels in stock (and serviced). He ships US wide.

http://www.billycooperssteelguitar.com/

I bought my current GFI (new) from Billy.

A used (or new) GFI Expo would be a good choice.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2023 4:35 pm    

Hi Jayanth:

Where is Massachusetts are you located? I'm down in the Southeast area on the Rhode Island line.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2023 9:10 am    

Hmmm..there's a Fender/Sho-Bud student S10 listed here on the SGF , $800 . 3 pedals , one knee lever .
Knowing what I know now , after a few decades of playing , that would be a good set up to start on . There's a lot of music there, pretty much everything up to 1965 or so , and a lot of later stuff too. Won't do all the modern stuff though . Can't vouch for that particular steel either , but it looks fine in the pics . Plus , when and if it comes time to sell , $800 should be easy enough to recoup .
Good luck with your search . Jerry

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 4:27 am    

Jayanth, Craig's List shows a couple right now. These are in Long Island, from the same guy:

Beautiful 1974 Sho-Bud Pro 1, 10 string E9 Pedal Steel, Recent Upgrades - $1,500 (Point Lookout) It's 3 & 4.

1975 Sho~Bud S-10 Pedal Steel Guitar - $1,650 (Point Lookout)

Also John Widgren (CT) and Tommy Cass (MA) fix and refurbish steels. They are on the Forum.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 4:32 am    

Beautiful Carter D 10 on the Forum right now from Gilbert Lazar. Great price for this lifetime axe.