The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Robert Paul Lee (Bobby Lee) Aug 1949 - Mar 2023
Lori Lee Smith

Cloverdale, CA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 10:31 am    

It is with immense sadness the Lee family is sharing news that Bobby Lee, founder of the Steel Guitar Forum and Forum Store, passed away in his home the morning of March 7, 2023.

We ask for your time and patience to allow us to be in our grief; to share time with friends and family; and to celebrate the goodness he brought to our lives.

Please visit and feel free to share a story or picture on his Memorial web page. Daughter Shoshanah shared a beautiful tribute here.

The Steel Guitar Forum will live on for as long as the technology allows and will continue to be managed by Bob's family to ensure his Legacy is honored. That said, the Steel Guitar Forum will likely outlive most of us just as it has already outlived its founder, Bobby Lee.

~ The Lee Family

Donations towards expenses submitted HERE.[/color]

Last edited by Lori Lee Smith on 22 Mar 2023 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 10:42 am    

I saw this new section this morning before anything had been posted and I was hoping that it was for future use. This must be a dream I'm having. I just cannot believe that we've lost the Daddy of the Steel Guitar Forum Bobby Lee. I'm like a lot of others, I'm sure, just at a total loss for words.

God Bless b0b, Mrs. Jean, Lori Lee, his family and his steel guitar family. This is a devastating loss but what a Legacy he leaves behind.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 8 Mar 2023 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 10:45 am    

I have no words….
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 10:59 am    

A Shock!

Thank You b0b and prayers for the family.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 10:59 am    

devastating news. safe travels b0b, we can't thank you enough

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:01 am    

Immense sadness and overwhelming gratitude for the years and labor.

I lift a virtual glass!

My thoughts are with the family, friends and the rest of the community.

Howard Parker

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:02 am    

Oh no - this is like a punch to the gut! I’m just in shock. My condolences to the family.

I live about 20 miles south of Cloverdale in Windsor, and have spent a fair amount of time with Bobby at music events since moving to Sonoma County 26 years ago. We weren’t great friends, more like acquaintances, but I always enjoyed being around him. Just a really good guy, and a fine steel player and musician. If they still had the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame going, Mr. Lee would have a plaque there for his incalculable contributions in founding and running the Forum.

Lori, if there is going to be a public service or memorial I trust you will let us know here because I would like to attend.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:09 am    

My sincerest condolences to the family.

b0b was one of the greatest forces the world has yet seen in promoting the steel guitar. His impact on the field is immeasurable -- and his loss is devastating to those who spent a few decades reading his musings on a regular basis.

Fare thee well, sir. Enjoy your time playing the Great Gig in the Sky.

David Hartley

Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:12 am    

Sorry to hear this. Condolences to the family

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:13 am    

Bobby was a true gentleman, and he was such a straightforward and humble friend.

Bobby’s brainchild affected my life in such a positive way. To discover the forum at just the right time in my life and to be educated on the history of the instrument and the players, and the instrument and its traditions, there is no way I could have found a more encouraging community, because that is the model Bobby created: a real community with respect and enthusiasm. It is not a perfect world and we will always find differences, but Bobby led by example that divisiveness did not belong.

He opened a lot of minds, ears, hearts, wallets….and the world would not be the same if he hadn’t followed through with his idea.

So long, b0b.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:24 am    

This years Dallas show will be particularly poignant. It has been 20 years since I was last there, learning about it and steel guitar because of b0b's life work. My life was immeasurably enriched because b0b was in this world. An incredible achievement and a life well lived. He will be mourned and missed by us all.

Aaron Clinton

Calgary, AB
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:24 am    

Thank-you for everything b0b.

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:25 am    

Much thanks & respect to Bob. Prayers for the family. His work with this page is far reaching.

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:28 am    

So sorry to see this. I always enjoyed talking with Bob at some of the steel shows. Reading the posts on the Steel Guitar Forum has been a part of my morning's ritual for many years now. As Mike Neer mentioned, it has helped so many musicians learn, grow and make new friends.
Thank you, Bob. My condolences to the family. May his memory be a blessing.
Chuck

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:29 am    

Bobby had the humility to resist the all plaudits for being the originator of the forum, rightly expressing that it was a right place at the right time thing. But I submit that there are precious few people who could have guided it to become as important as it is and who had the temperament to allow for its longevity -- something that so many forums can't claim due to their hijacking by loud and destructive people. Bob had a way that allowed the purpose of this forum to flourish.

I am so sad for his family and his close friends. And for myself.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:31 am    

I'm in tears. I have been friends with Bob since the 70's. RIP my dear friend. My thoughts are with the Lee family, his friends, ans steel guitar players all over the world. Bob has done as much for the steel guitar as anybody.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:31 am    

This is such sad news, I'm at a loss for words. I hope b0b's journey from here is a safe one. He will live on in the hearts of all the folks whose lives he has touched here with his wonderful creation, this community, the SGF. Thank you b0b Crying or Very sad

Jon Hyde

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:32 am    

so very sorry to see this new. b0b is giant, he will be sorely missed. This forum is a refuge of inspiration and learning and community and we've all benefitted so greatly from it. RIP b0b for sure.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:33 am    

That is very sad news about Bobby ("bOb") Lee.

Bob did a tremendous service for the steel guitar community by starting the SGF over 20 years ago.
He also set up excellent rules and moderation practices so that the SGF is the most civil online music forum I have seen.

The SGF was clearly a labor of love for Bob, and I'm sure that it took up way more of his time and money than he expected.

He was obviously very dedicated to building a true community of steel guitar players, from raw beginners to seasoned professionals.
Where else could you get your questions answered by Buddy Emmons or Paul Franklin and so many other excellent players?

We cannot thank Bob enough for all he has done for steel guitar players around the world.

My deepest condolences to Bob's family.

- Dave

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:34 am    

Bobby, I will miss you so very much! Thank you so much for your contribution to my life and so many others. Rest in peace dear friend.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey

God bless Bob Lee. His contribution to the steel guitar community cannot be overstated.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL

This is tragic, and an enormous loss to our community. That goes without saying.

b0b was a great help to me last Summer, constantly revising my setup chart for my new guitar. His suggestions were invaluable. I was aware, though, of some serious health issues he was enduring at that time. How sad that, at a relatively young age, he lost the battle.

Rest in peace, Bobby Lee. You were a real treasure.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:37 am    

Rest in Peace Bob, and thank you so much.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:42 am    

I am so very sorry to read this sad news. b0b's legacy will live on in the lives and work of many thousands of people, and to many of the next generation in turn. His impact on the world of steel guitar is incalculable. Personally, I owe him my gratitude for so many things I have learned and opportunities that have come my way through the SGF. Rest in peace, b0b. And Thank You!

My deepest condolences to his family and personal friends.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:45 am    

I dont know what to say since anything I can would not be worth the time and dedication b0b put into this very large part of my life.

All I can say is RIP b0b and my respects to his family!

I never saw this coming, but its so sad non the less!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days