The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB for live backup?
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 10:18 am    

I play a couple sets of dobro and lap steel out and about at times in my area. I’ve been using IReal Pro and Strum Machine for backing. Simple, basic, some levels of cheese with IReal Pro sounds for sure, and limited patterns with Strum Machine.

I played around with BIAB last about 10 or 12 years ago. I’m considering purchasing 2022 for Mac which I think the package I was looking at was $300 with upgrade from my old windows version. Ultra Pack Plus I think?

Anyway, I thought I’d ask if there are any alternatives to BIAB for decent basic backing tracks? I assume with some fiddling I could get decent sounding tracks to play live over with BIAB. I’d render them to .wav files and play them via Bluetooth I’d imagine. Any one else doing this?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 5:29 pm    

One thought is to wait until June or July when 2023 Band-in-a-Box for Mac is due to be released. Normally when there is a new release there is a sale where the program and additional content is discounted.

(PG Music typically releases the Windows version around the first week in December while the Mac version is released in June. Generally only packages that work with the new release are on sale so you won't find a Windows sale in June or a Mac sale in December.) (added)
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Last edited by Jim Fogle on 9 Mar 2023 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 7:11 pm    

I use Band In A Box all the time for backing tracks, although I convert them to MP3 and use Anytune to play them. I personally would never trust Bluetooth in a live setting. I have used both an iPad and a MacBook to play the mp3s. Both have always worked flawlessly! Email me and I will send you a couple of tracks if you would like to hear what BIB is capable of.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2023 8:58 am    

Jim, thanks for the tip on the Mac release. I always thought Mac and Windows programs were released at the same time at the first of the year. I’m a new Mac guy. I know PG Music offers discounts for about a month.

Doug, I’ll email you. Thank you.I’d be curious to hear a couple of your backing tracks.

I have yet to have a problem with Bluetooth but I could certainly imagine it. One of the things I often do is an open mic at a resort next door. I’m already bringing my own amp and stomp box for my dobro so I try to stay as simple and move in and out as fast as possible. (Makes me wish I just played an armpit guitar!) I will start bringing a hard wire cord as a contingency though. That’s not a bad idea.