The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nina Simone medley
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2023 3:49 pm    

In February of this year, I was asked to play at Baltimore's An die Musik, for a concert honoring the legacy of Nina Simone on what would have been her 90th birthday. I'm a huge fan of Nina Simone, but had never played her music before. I was given 12 minutes to do one or two songs, but it was a challenge. My inclination is usually to go "outside", but the audience was mostly people in the community who loved Nina and her music.

I was the only musician that night playing without the accompaniment of a gospel-tinged pianist. So I was more than a bit nervous that they wouldn't like it. I wanted to play with feeling and respect to this giant luminary of music. To me, it is important that a musician feel something when they're playing, to be affected by the music itself. Perhaps we all do that, but whether we are able to transfer it to the listening audience is perhaps a different matter.

Anyway, here's a medley of her music and a couple others' too (also, can anyone name the five tunes I played in those twelve minutes?). I hope you enjoy this humble tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxApSENeYOM

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 5:54 am    

Very nice, Susan! I am not familiar with Nina, but listened to your entire performance. Beautiful, soothing music.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 9:05 am    

Great technique, execution, intonation and tone. Also, you gotta love that MSA.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Brian Lee

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 6:41 pm    

Beautiful performance! Very nuanced, reflective, and deeply soulful- like Nina Simone’s music. Your arrangement and performance are really superb. Thanks for sharing it here. Very inspiring!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 6:50 pm    

That's lovely, Susan! I think the only one I recognized was God Bless the Child but they are all beautifully played, as always by you. And so great so see such an enthusiastic audience reaction too.
Best wishes from Philly!
Jimbeaux

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2023 7:46 pm    

Well, of course, just wonderfully beautiful all through, nice segues also.

The first song sounded like I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to Be Free but I wouldn’t bet on it, I heard God Bless, thought I might have heard Sinner Man - I’ll listen more times and see if a) I was even close and b) what the tunes actually were… I also thought I heard T’aint Nobody’s Business but I hadn’t heard Nina Simone do it (although a perfect song for her!)

I think you made the correct choices for the event, and, as always, showed your heart. Thank you for sharing this

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 9:23 am    

Beautiful, Susan. Nice to hear your take on these tunes.