Author Topic:  Doc Watson
John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 4:22 pm    

100 years….today.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 5:59 pm    

One of the best flatpickers I've seen. Proud I was able to see him in his prime.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2023 10:13 pm     Doc was amazing - as was his son Eddy Merle…

Doc and his son Merle appeared at Elevation 6000 in Sun Valley, Idaho for just one night, many years ago - must have been early 1980s, as Merle died in a tragic accident in October of 1985. Wife and I drove through a blizzard, blowing and drifting snow and made a detour because of a road closure. Eternally grateful that we did, what a great performance in a small venue! We too enjoyed them at the peak of their performing careers.
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Daniel Dickie

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2023 3:37 am    

A friend of mine gave me one of his CDs The Essential Doc Watson I've been listening to it in the car for the last couple of years.
Whenever someone mentions favourite music I always mention Doc now.
Such a great musician. I feel fortunate to have even heard his music.
I like that he was not just great on the guitar and singing but he was also a storyteller.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2023 2:44 pm     Son of Riley Puckett

Doc was the bridge between the limited acoustic lead breaks in the thirties and forties til his invention, for lack of a better term, "Watson" picking. Ralph Rinzler in 1961 was goin south to record Clarence Ashley who mentioned his neighbor Doc as a excellent guitar player. Ralphs face must have fallen when he found Doc jamming on a Les Paul electric. After some convincing Ralph convinced him to switch to acoustic(he actually lent him his D18). When the record came out history was given a brand new makeover. Every guitar player from Clarenc White to Bryan Sutton has been influenced by Watsons version of Black Mtn Rag...You can actually hear it on UTUBE Newport Folkfestival 1963