The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  David Lindley
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 1:46 pm    

Fretboard Journal just posted that David Lindley passed away today. RIP Mr. Dave...

Dave

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 2:11 pm    

Oh no! This is a real loss. RIP David.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 2:11 pm    

To the family and friends of Mr. Lindley I just want to say your pain and grief is shared with the multitude of us who loved and respected him. May that give comfort to everyone.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 2:24 pm    

https://claremont-courier.com/latest-news/iconic-claremont-musician-david-lindley-dead-at-78-72983/

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 2:57 pm    

This is horrible news. David has been such a monumental figure in my musical world, and that of so many others. I can't think of another musician of any era like him. He just defied any type of neat categorization, a true musician of the world. RIP, Mr. Dave.

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 3:31 pm    

The most talented and down to earth funny guy I have ever seen live. Prayers for his family and many friends.

Mark Keating

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 4:04 pm     David Lindley

This is a tough one. Mr. Dave was the sole reason I picked up a slide back in the early '70s, and the fiddle thereafter. A remarkable inspiration, to me and a million others. Most heartfelt condolences to Joan and Rosanne.
Vaya con Dios, David.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 4:21 pm    

I'm sorry to hear of Mr. Dave's passing......my sympathy and condolences to his family......

In the early 70s we had Sneaky Pete, Rusty Young, and Buddy Cage to push the pedal steel into new & upcoming country music.....in rock, country rock, and other unusual genres, we had David Lindley......now, they're all together and hopefully laughing at Mr. Dave's spot on impersonation of Jack Nicholson.......

We all miss you David.....thank you for everything that you gave us......

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 4:57 pm    

I first saw David Lindley with Jackson Browne at Fullerton College gymnasium in Fullerton, CA around 1973. Linda Ronstadt was the opening act.

I saw him several other times with Jackson Browne (especially the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles), with El Rayo X, and in duos with Hani Nasr and later on Wally Ingram.

One of the most memorable shows was at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, where he broke two strings during the same song and was unable to keep playing because he was laughing so hard.

He was a major lap steel player, probably the main reason most lap steel players sound the way they do. I last saw him at the Fillmore for a reunion of El Rayo X in 1989.

The few times I met him personally he always had a twinkle in his eye. Rest easy, Mr. Lint Free. Condolences to your family and many friends throughout the world.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 5:59 pm    

I echo everyone else's feelings. He meant so much to me and my musical sensibilities. I really can’t even talk about it.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 6:22 pm    

Proving again you don't have to have a mountain of gear to make beautiful music. Happy trails trouper!

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 6:40 pm    

I really adored Mister Dave.
Way back then, I didn't even know what those weird guitars on his lap were... but they sure sounded awesome!
What a funny and wonderful human.

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 7:00 pm    

So Sad...absolutely a wonderful guy! Always would take the time to talk with you and listen. We truly are going to miss him.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 7:45 pm    

I am devastated.

Mark Perrodin

Tucson Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 7:54 pm     david

i was dating a girl in 1986 and she said listen to this cassette. he’s playing the student union in a couple weeks. it was el rayo x. changed the way i heard guitar. super cool.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 9:28 pm    

Ah hell.
It was probably at least 6 years, maybe eight years ago ? when I saw him last at the Belly Up in Solana Beach. The thing I remember that struck me, besides his buddha-like way of holding court on stage, (with his great collection of deep-bodied weissenborns and other exotic stringed instruments), was the audience. The audience was mostly guys my age. Old guys. Looking around, I was guessing most were guitar players, they seemed there to hear,listen, laugh, and adore their string-ed wise-cracking lap steel dalai llama. It reminded me of a respectful crowd of well-reads , listening to a reading by Allan Ginsberg, or Gary Snyder, or Lawrence Ferlinghetti…..
Sometimes you could hear a pin drop. In-between the laughs of course.

What a guy. RIP Mr. Dave.

This Gone Home Section is getting to be like being forced to watch Old Yeller over and over.

But you can’t turn away.
Seems that all my flags are at half-mast.

Last edited by Brooks Montgomery on 3 Mar 2023 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 9:38 pm    

He pretty much defined pop/rock lapsteel for a generation. He played with the best, always making them sound better. He could cross over in any direction and still sound like himself.
A deeply profound loss.
RIP DL!

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 10:23 pm    

Goodbye Mr Dave. Thanks for all the music. Prayers for the family.

Daniel Dickie

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 2:13 am    

RIP David Lindley
Loved his solo's on the Jackson Browne albums.
I also believe that he played some of the solos on a couple of Australian singer Jimmy Barnes' songs.
Driving Wheels and Working Class Man.
Haven't listened to his El Rayo stuff, will have to get onto that

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 4:09 am    

David was one of the most memorable interviews of my music career. He did all kinds of hilarious vocal imitations and was simultaneously thoughtful and had his ear constantly attuned to the best in music. He was also a kind person.

It's hard to put into words what he meant to so many of us in the steel community. My condolences to his family and friends. He did so much work that was groundbreaking and influential. His inspiration will continue for years to come. Nobody lives forever but Lindley sure seemed like he would.

LA TIMES:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2023-03-03/david-lindley-guitarist-jackson-browne-dies-79?fbclid=IwAR0VJsA_QB58EHBmt0C0RpeND-Iz4iHKM1dRNKMH_4ng_Zd_GMWzNyKJ-pA

I love many aspects of his work but one of my favorite, under the radar things he did was his beautiful, evocative score for Rabbit Ears "Song of Sacacajawea" with Laura Darn. The music both supports the story and also stands on its own.

https://www.amazon.com/Song-Sacajawea-Laura-Dern/dp/B000008CUA

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 5:53 am    

Phew..This really hurts. David was #1 and an enormous influence on my musicality starting when I first heard Redneck Friend in 1973.That TONE and impeccable tasty choice of notes! Met him once in Providence when he was touring with EL Rayo X and he was a truly nice person. Funny,witty,humble and warm. Thank you David. You will be forever missed. Mercury Blues will never feel the same.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 9:23 am    

In 1980 before a Jackson Brown concert, I showed David a picture of 5 Rickenbacker's I had, two 6 strings and a 7 string bakelite, a Silver Hawaiian and a Spanish neck Bakelite. He asked if I still had the Spanish neck one? I told him I had sold it. He said, "You f'er." I still smile remembering the gleam in his eyes. Such a loss.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 9:46 am    

Another of my heroes is gone:

Here he is from a few years ago playing the Noah Lewis classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLq9HgGP8G8

R.I.P. David.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 4:40 pm    

Tragic news. I'm deeply saddened by this. David was a musical force in the industry. A breath of fresh air to the many lap steel players. His influence covers a wide range of ages and styles. Rip David. My prayers for his family and friends.

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 4:40 pm    

I got goose bumps the first time I heard the lap steel solo in "To Know Him Is To Love Him" on the Trio album. And his steel work on Running On Empty still does that to me regularly after all these years. I'm so grateful for all the inspiration Dave has given me.