The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CREATING TABLATURE: Music transcription software.
Ted Duncan

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 5:44 am    

I'm not sure I've posted this question in the correct spot. If I haven't, I hope someone will kindly put it where it belongs.

Since the day I heard Judy Collins' studio version of Someday Soon back in 1969, I've wanted to learn James Burton's GREAT Telecaster guitar parts including that riff with all the hammer ons. 50+ years later, and I still can't get any of it. A lot of folks have figured out Buddy Emmons Pedal Steel Guitar parts, but in all these years I have NEVER heard another guitar player copy even a little of the Telecaster. The closest anybody came is a piano player who accompanied Collins when she performed the tune of the old Smothers Brothers TV program back in 1970.

After asking a number of guitar players on YouTube if they can figure it out (they can't), I'm wondering if a computer program that transcribes recorded music into notation could. Does anybody know anything about these programs, or maybe have used them? Anybody willing to take this on?

The version of Someday Soon that I am talking about was on the album "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" which was released in the autumn of 1969. It was a studio recording from a session which featured Stephen Stills on acoustic guitar, Buddy Emmons on pedal steel guitar and James Burton on Telecaster.

This was a huge hit for Collins and I believe that this tune contributed greatly to the "Country Rock" movement that was going on, late 60s, early 70's. Without Collins vocal, the Steel guitar and the Telecaster hard hammering on, this would have been just another folk song.

The version of the tune I'm talking about is found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIgnHPqp0Dk

Although I could be wrong, by my ear, the Burton's part begins @0:22 into the intro and "THAT RIFF" and versions of it along with some walking bass lines gets repeated over and over as fill through the song. Burton's solo begins as the Pedal Steel fades @2:39, ending with that "hammering-on riff" @2:54.

I would LOVE to learn that part before I die, and since I'm going on 73, I figure I got just about 10 years left to learn it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ted Duncan

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2023 6:09 am    

If you can't play guitar, but can play piano and would like to help, the vid below is the one from the Smother Brother TV show that I mentioned. During the intro, the piano player runs Burton's riff a couple times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w70-1b9SCj0

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2023 8:46 am    

Try a transcription software. I have been Transcribe! for years. https://www.seventhstring.com/

It does a huge number of things that I do not use, but there are 2 things that it does exceptionally well. It will slow any recorded music down without changing the pitch, and it will show note range on the keyboard.