The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Burt Bacharach ~ May 12, 1928 - Feb 8, 2023
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 1:53 pm    

one of the mightiest musicians to ever live, words don't describe his greatness.

I've spent a lot of time with his tunes, mostly on C6. here's a fine version of Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head by Kenny Price in 1970, with Weldon doing steel duties on the back neck.

Burt's first chart success was in fact a #1 country hit for Marty Robbins, The Story Of My Life in 1957.

I'll say a little prayer for Burt, and a huge thank you.
as Marlene Dietrich said, "...he’s my arranger, he’s my accompanist, he’s my conductor, and I wish I could say he’s my composer. But that isn’t true. He’s everybody’s composer ... Burt Bacharach!”

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 2:15 pm    

The best of the best; RIP, Maestro.

My favourite pop composers in no particular order: Brian Wilson, Jimmy Webb and, of course, Burt Bacharach.

This world is a better place because of Bacharach's beautiful songs; a life well lived.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 5:12 pm    

"Burt Bacharach, Whose Buoyant Pop Confections Lifted the ’60s, Dies"

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/09/arts/music/burt-bacharach-dead.html

The hat check girl from the Caravan Club brings it. This is what happens when you hire professionals. You get a professional job: Cilla, Burt, George Martin, Abbey Road, live. I still can't wrap my mind around how Bacharach could conduct the orchestra, then sit back down at the piano and start playing perfectly in time a part that became part of our DNA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL5nm0-iDu4

More footage. Also, check out the backup singers, “The Ladybirds,” (The British counterpart to the Anita Kerr Singers), hanging in for 28 - 29 takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glpIgnmKrZc

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 8:19 pm    

Two of the greatest non-classical American composers are gone now: first Sondheim, now Bacharach.

Hard to fathom a world without his music. A priceless gift to us all.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 11:30 pm    

Some of you know that I spent a few decades as a "soundman to the stars" mixing audio for concerts and festivals. The list of acts and personalities is a long one, and in the course of that trajectory I found that image and content do not always correspond, as the ranks of celebrity are loaded with horrid heroes and secret saints. Burt Bacharach was firmly in the camp of the latter.

The last time I saw Burt was a show at the Schnitzer in Portland a few years back. At some point he found out that after the crew (who had already been there since 10:00 am) finished loading out his show they had to spend another three hours installing the orchestra shell for a Symphony rehearsal early the next morning. He asked if we could keep the piano upstage while we worked, so we parked it in a corner and he stayed with us, playing the piano, until we finished. I wonder how many folks around the globe can say they were serenaded at work by Burt Bacharach at 1:00am? Betcha there are more than a few. This my loving thank you and goodbye to a great human who made a lot of lives infinitely better by simply being himself 🔥

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2023 3:47 am    

RIP Mr.Bacharach, you wrote so many great melodies.
Scottish band Deacon Blue with Message To Michael:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlKanCtqsFg

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2023 12:22 pm    

We've lost another American Music Legend!

Prayers for his Family, Friends and Fans the world over!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2023 1:32 pm    

Irreplaceable. A giant of American music and a personal influence.The range of his work is astonishing as was his feel for melody and polyrhythms.RIP.

Franklin

Post  Posted 11 Feb 2023 2:49 am    

What a long life yet gone too soon! Such a loss in the world of composition. About 10 years ago Burt started writing some pop songs wanting to countrify them...They were brilliant to say the least and were not a departure harmonically from his other songs...I was so blown away and honored to receive that call, which remains a high point in my career for sure...Burt told the producer what he wanted on his song demos and then I worked and submitted the parts back to him to approve...The great news was he loved how the steel could follow the rules of theory through his sometimes complex harmonies and commented tuning was what bothered him about his earlier experiences with the instrument...Burt became a steel fan and called many times wanting me to put more steel on his songs. Burt's legacy will remain long after we are all gone...Burts music will live forever...Rest In Peace, Burt!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2023 11:33 am    

Franklin wrote:
What a long life yet gone too soon! Such a loss in the world of composition. About 10 years ago Burt started writing some pop songs wanting to countrify them...They were brilliant to say the least and were not a departure harmonically from his other songs...I was so blown away and honored to receive that call, which remains a high point in my career for sure...Burt told the producer what he wanted on his song demos and then I worked and submitted the parts back to him to approve...The great news was he loved how the steel could follow the rules of theory through his sometimes complex harmonies and commented tuning was what bothered him about his earlier experiences with the instrument...Burt became a steel fan and called many times wanting me to put more steel on his songs. Burt's legacy will remain long after we are all gone...Burts music will live forever...Rest In Peace, Burt!

One of the highest compliments a musician of any genre can receive, IMHO.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2023 12:16 pm    

any titles we could listen to, Paul? I was totally unaware of Burt using steel or "going country."

very interesting too that he had experimented with using steel in years past.

also...
what a memory Dave Grafe! thank you for sharing.

and Robert Kramer, while I much prefer Dionne Warwick to Cilla Black that is some incredible footage. Burt is completely consumed by the music and arrangement.

I wonder what were the most takes Dionne was ever forced to do with The Maestro?

here's some more great footage of Burt and Dionne "building" a song together: https://youtu.be/mv62rtEdVAk

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2023 12:20 pm    

Kudos, Paul, and great to learn he had an ear for the steel. Here is a remembrance from Carole King ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/10/carole-king-burt-bacharach-songwriting/

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2023 12:56 pm    

He was simply magical. I'm a staunch fan of Brian Wilson and Jimmy Webb as great proponents of popular composition but Burt was the best of all.

Paul: yet another well-deserved feather in your cap. To have caught Bacharach's ear like that is something you're no doubt especially proud of.

This week's sad news prompted me to revisit my almost-finished E9 version of 'Alfie' (my favourite pop song ever). I have a couple of spots where I can't voice as much of the chord as I'd like but I'm getting there. My pedal 4 (lowering 9,6,3) is a big help. My 'new' change (raising the B to D) is a boon, too.

Maybe it'll be easier on my 12-string when it comes.

RIP, Burt - the best of the best. What a catalog of work he produced!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2023 4:01 pm    

B J Thomas with Tommy White on steel, doesn't get any better than this!!

RIP Burt and B. J.!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyfjPORyhR0

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 9:57 am     First # 1 Hit Was A Country Song

Here's an interesting tidbit, did you know Burt Bacharach's first song to hit number 1 was "The Story Of My Life" sung by Marty Robbins in 1957? https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2023/02/09/burt-bacharach-first-no-1-hit-was-sung-by-mary-robbins/69888390007/
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 10:41 am    

Yes, Jim - but, back in the Old Country (Britain), the hit version was by Michael Holliday.

I've often reflected that his first success gave no musical clues to how groundbreaking his writing would become. 'The Story of my Life' is a pleasant enough three-chord ditty but could have been by anyone.

Later, he'd use modulations, polyrhythms and lovely chord structures - 'Promises, Promises', 'What's New, Pussycat?' and so many more. He was truly prolific.

(My version of 'Alfie' is in G major; I have found it lays better on E9 than C6 and G is as low as I can pitch it on that neck. When I get my D13th 12-string, I'll think again. Smile )

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 11:57 am    

I should note Scott Murray delivered that tidbit in his initial post but I overlooked Scott's mention. I apologize for the oversight.

Roger, I don't know how much airplay Michael Holliday received in the US. I don't remember the name but I didn't learn the names of many of my favorite artists until much later in life. I'll check him out.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 12:33 pm    

Jim:

He was very much a UK-only singer. A bit old-fashioned, even in 1957, with matinee idol looks and a pleasant baritone voice. Another one-time big-band front-man turned to pop.

Around that time, UK singers covered American hits (that's how it was); Guy Mitchell's 'Singing The Blues', for example, had to fight in our charts with the cover version by home-grown Tommy Steele.

I doubt that his name meant much outside Britain.

It wasn't until years later that I learned Bacharach had written 'TSoML'; all we knew Burt for in the '60s were those gorgeous Dionne Warwick songs and, as I said before, the writing-style was vastly different.

Chance Wilson

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2023 1:56 pm    

RIP
What does Bacharach and NWA have in common?
Straight out of Compton

Bacharach's first hit had steel

Is this Fender DP why Burt had the aforementioned aversion to steel intonation?

https://youtu.be/w-SAVuLHdjo

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 8:14 pm    

I've been trying to find steel renditions of Bacharach songs... there's Look Of Love by Curly Chalker and One Less Bell To Answer by Maurice Anderson. any others?