The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cheers for Bonnie Raitt
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2023 12:11 pm    

Great surprise to see Bonnie Raitt’s grammy win for “Just Like That”. What a great song (John Prine would be so proud—I for one hear his influences).

She’s just the bomb and still touring hard.

I don’t want to rant about the grammy’s and start another annual Mr. Wilson-like spew of complaints (of which I have many).

Congrats Bonnie!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2023 1:29 pm    

Great artist that Bonnie! Glad she's stil putting out music and receiving awards!!

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2023 7:42 pm    

Congrats to Bonnie.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2023 2:57 am    

No kidding. Ms. Raitt looked as surprised as anyone after this many years of keeping on rocking and writing.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2023 5:45 am    

I'll admit I spent some time wiping my eyes after listening to Bonnie's grammy winning Best song of the Year. Just Like That is like the songs they used to write when I was coming up but no one does anymore.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2023 7:09 am    

When I was a kid coming up in the Twin Cities, some of the guys in my band were friends with some of the guys in the late Willie Murphy's band, the "Bumblebees." Many of the 'Bees lived in a massive old four-story rooming house on the west side of Powderhorn Park in South Mpls (a few blocks from today's George Floyd Square). The house had a great room on the ground floor that was set up with the band's equipment and used for rehearsals and jams. Sometimes our band would stop by to watch, and/or participate.

On one warm summer night there was a new, attractive, red-haired hippie girl there that we didn't recognize who played pretty good guitar, and could really belt out a blues song. (She was the first person I ever met who wore patchouli oil!)

The guys said she was just in from Boston, and was doing some recording with Dave Ray (of local heroes Koerner, Ray, and Glover). I blew some harp on a few numbers with her, and she was complimentary of my playing. I never did catch her name, but immediately put two and two together about a year later, after her debut album came out.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2023 3:04 am    

That's a good story, Jack.
I first heard of her in '71 on her Taking My Time record, then checked out her first album, the one you're probably talking about.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2023 7:58 pm    

Bonnie was and is the bomb. I used to see her while in high school and back from college for co-op jobs, late-60s and very early 70s, playing in various coffeehouses and clubs in, mostly Cambridge, but sometimes Boston. My last two years of high school were largely an academic wasteland, I went to every show I could get into and had money for (I worked summers and after school/weekends). It's a miracle I ever graduated and went on to college. But that period left an impression on me that has never left, and Bonnie was like a 'local hero' to us Boston people, even though she wasn't really from there originally.

This is a great tune. I think you need to sit down in a quiet room and really listen. I know people are surprised by the win, but when I think about what's out there these days, this stands head and shoulders above most of what I hear. Very sensitive, very emotional, and beautifully played, sung, and produced.

BTW - this thread was started in "Almost a Steel Guitar", and I was fine with that. But it was moved, no doubt because there is no slide guitar anywhere - at least none that I heard. All the electric guitar I heard was standard, no slide. But I didn't move it. I think a Grammy win for one of the world's leading slide guitarists makes it quite acceptable for that section. But it fits just as well here in Music. We have enough categoriies at this point that they don't form a well-defined set-theoretic partition. There are quite a few threads that fit equally well in different sections.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2023 5:03 am    

Very touching response from Bonnie and people touched by her Grammy-winning song.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=750300626457342&set=a.253787582775318

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2023 9:56 am    

Great song and very deserving of a grammy.