The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show Pro knee lever issue
William Seeders Mosheim

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 2:35 pm    

I'm having an odd problem with my LKL knee lever on my Show Pro with the 6th string drop. I can't get it to be consistent or hit the note with any sort of repeatability with a full engage of the lever. The top two string pulls also on this lever are always consistent. I have a 4th pedal setup with a Franklin change and the 6th string drop on that pedal is also just fine and behaves well and consistently. It's only with the LKL lever that the issue comes up. The part that has me baffled currently is that I can get it to hit the note consistently but only if I engage the lever fully and then back it off just a touch. When backing it off slightly the string will drop even further. Everything I've done to try and remedy the issue doesn't seem to change anything but I must be missing something. It's very odd to me how the 4th pedal drop works fine but the knee lever does not.

Anyone have any thoughts on what may be causing this issue or how to remedy it?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 2:43 pm    

Not Show Pro specific by any means but yes, familiar. Especially that bit about giving the lever an extra waggle. Try loosening the return spring a bit. There is a moment at the end of the throw where there is some delicate balance in the leverage between the raise finger and the lower finger and it varies depending on which hole the rod is thru (which is why you can have a well-functioning Franklin pedal but have different results with the lever).
If there is a raise helper spring on 6, it possibly is not helping matters.

William Seeders Mosheim

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 2:50 pm    

Thanks, Jon! I had a feeling that it was a delicate balance issue with the return spring and that's what I was most recently trying to work with. No helper springs on this one, it's a pretty basic setup as far as that goes. Comparing it to my LeGrande I noticed that the LKL drop and Franklin pedals (which that also has) are in opposite holes. If I can't remedy it with the return spring I may just swap the holes and see if that fixes it or moves the issue to the 4th pedal. I don't use the Franklin pedal nearly as much as the LKL. I was thinking of changing the Franklin change anyway to something I'd use more often so that might be my last ditch solution. Hopefully I can find the balance it needs though!

William Seeders Mosheim

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 3:09 pm    

Ah! Excellent! That certainly did it! I hadn't gone quite far enough to get where I needed with my last attempt with the return spring. I loosened it up farther than needed and then snuck it up just a couple turns past where it returned correctly. Adjusted the lever stop a little to accommodate and everything is working exactly as it should now.

Much appreciated!! I had a feeling you'd have the solution.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 3:19 pm    

Awesome. As to which hole is best, should you have a need for more tinkering, this is the one where the best hole is NOT the "obvious" hole that has maximum leverage, maximum finger travel. It is not 100% clear to me what is happening physically but I know that this can be a time when de-maximizing your leverage can yield greater (more stable) changer movement.
I love that your fix was as simple as the spring tweak.

William Seeders Mosheim

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 5:03 pm    

With some more investigating I found that it wasn't quite as simple unfortunately. It seems that the 4th pedal Franklin setup was just causing a lot of issues. Whenever I hit that pedal everything else just started misbehaving afterwards. Being that I barely used it enough to justify the headache it seemed to cause I just opted to take it off for now and deal with it down the road or possibly just change it all together to something else once I figure out what that might be. I think I've since remedied everything I need to with everything else but may do a little more tweaking and experiment with the changer hole more on that drop as you mentioned when I have the time. For now things seem to be very happy and behaving correctly finally!

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 6:18 pm    

Does your guitar have split tuning screws in the back of the changer? If it has split tuning screws, You need to work them into the pulls, Or back the screws out to they do not interfered with pedals and levers.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

William Seeders Mosheim

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 6:46 pm    

No split tuning screws on this one. Show Pro does their splits using rods but mine is only setup for one that's currently on the 5th string. Thanks for the thought though!