The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Help with Ric B-6 Pickup Height Adjustment
Bill Eisele

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 7:46 pm    

Hi All,

I have a pre-war B-6 with pickup height adjustment issues. When I bought the guitar I knew it had a rewound pickup and suspected that it hadn't been done correctly. I sent it out for a rewind and re-magnetizing of the horseshoe. When I got it back the gap between the magnet and the bobbin was and is small on the bass side and the gap on the treble side was and is fairly large. For some reason, I am unable to get the bobbin and magnet assembly adjusted with the appropriate gap between the strings following Rick Aiello's advice. I haven't disassembled the pickup but what I am noticing is that I am unable to smoothly compress and release the springs on either side. The movement of the pickup feels rough and seems to catch. I'm wondering if the springs are shot and need to be replaced. And maybe the posts inside the strings? I would be interested in hearing from anyone with insights into adjusting this pickup and what I might be experiencing. Thanks!

Bill Eisele

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 8:16 pm    

I should also mention that the pole pieces for the bass strings are above the top of the bobbin with the 6th string bobbin the highest. The treble string pole pieces appear to be level with the top of the bobbin. So, the gap on the bass side, particularly for the 6th string, is very small. I did just now pull the springs and while they are rusty they appear to be functional. However, the treble side spring is much less strong than the bass side spring. I switched them and the adjustability is no different.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 8:58 pm    

The bobbin is in backwards. The higher poles should be on the treble side.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Bill Eisele

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 9:48 pm    

Todd Clinesmith wrote:
The bobbin is in backwards. The higher poles should be on the treble side.

That absolutely makes sense Todd. When I sent it out I didn’t recall a clearance issue. The top of the bobbin now slants down on the treble side with excessive clearance and the top of the bobbin on the bass side is flat with very little clearance. The bass strings have a wider excursion when plucked so the slanted side of the bobbin should be on the bass side. I will remove the pickup and reverse the bobbin. I will then report back. Thanks! I really appreciate your help.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 6:36 am    

That or just turn the pickup around. The wires should be coming out the bottom of the front of the pickup... toward the peg head, rather than the tail.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Bill Eisele

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 9:39 am    

Todd Clinesmith wrote:
That or just turn the pickup around. The wires should be coming out the bottom of the front of the pickup... toward the peg head, rather than the tail.

I thought about doing that last night but went ahead and reversed the bobbin. Now the clearance is back where it was before and much better. The springs are still not allowing a full range of adjustment and the movement of pickup is not smooth. I have to pull up or push down on it to get it in position. So a trip to the hardware store with the old springs is in order today. Hopefully they have something close as replacements. Thanks Todd!