The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Mandorca
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2023 3:32 pm    

Bringing up Jerry Mandorca brought up a great memory for me.

I met Jerry at ISGC after I had acquired a Bigsby T-8 with 6 pedals and the name "Jerry Girard" on the front apron. I asked here in Forumland if anyone knew this Jerry Girard fellow. Russ Wever said he knew him and that his actual name is Jerry Mandorca. So Russ contacted him and said I now own his old Bigsby and I'd have it at ISGC if he'd like to meet.

We met and had a fine meeting, he was a super nice guy and enjoyed sitting behind the guitar again. But he told me he ordered the guitar in 1948 with one pedal and metal necks. He only kept it a year or less because it kept going out of tune.

Hmmm...the guitar now has six pedals and wood neck inserts, and it's dated XX1954. All parts are correct and the redating means that it most probably went back to Bigsby and the new work was completed in 1954. So the big question is: Who owned the guitar from 1948 to 1954?

Also with Jerry and myself is my good friend and Bigsby maven, Paul Warnik. Incidentally, Jerry's actual name is Girard Mandorca. He passed away in 2017.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?