The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Swizzle Stik in Huntington Beach, Ca....................
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 8:05 am    

Anyone here ever work at the old Swizzle Stik on the corner of Brookhurst and Garfield in Huntington Beach, California? It was one of the more "plush" joints in Orange County I'd say. For anyone who hasn't ever been in there, it had an oval sunken bar with plush black naugahyde chairs with casters to sit around. The clientele were a little more affluent than most bars of the era.

I worked there three different times, the first was with the Johnny McKnight group which consisted of Johnny on electric 12 string Dobro rhythm & vocal, Tommie Gobel on bass/vocals, Ted Kovar on drums/vocals, and me on lead guitar/no vocals. With this group we played five nights a week while the other clubs played six. We were off Sunday & Monday. Tommie Gobel left shortly after I went there to front the band at the Parrish House in Hawthorne. He was replaced by bassist/vocalist Bobby Ray (Robert G. Shamblin)

The next time I worked there was with a trio called "3-2 Many" which consisted of myself on lead & steel, Bobby Ray on bass/vocals, and Buddy Banks on drums/vocals. We did almost two years on this stint....

The next time I worked there was after I'd came back from a year in Texas which would've been somewhere around '76 or '77. The band when I started consisted of JoAnne Rinard on vocals, Monte Paul on drums/vocals, Rod Culpepper on bass/vocals, Art Sanchez on pedal steel, and myself on lead guitar. During this stint Rod Culpepper left due to a conflict with a band member and was replaced by Vern Costner on bass/vocals. Art Sanchez left to go on the road with fiddler Billy Armstrong and was replaced by a succession of steel guitarists which included Jimmy Hill, Al Meyers, & a couple of others until Forumite Stephen Silver took the job. Steve eventually left to go on the road with Mary Kay Place and later Barbie Benton. When Steve left, I went over to pedal steel and we hired Roy Dee (Di Simone) on lead guitar. I eventually left to go back to work with Bobby Ray & Buddy Banks in another bar in Anaheim....

All in all, it was one of the nicest clubs in the LA/Orange County area and since I was more into the ladies than the music in those days, it was a goldmine...........JH in Va.

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 8:56 am    

Jerry,
Yes I remember the Swizz in HB. It was a classy joint at the time. I do recall walking outside on a break and parked in front was a beautiful Ferrari 365GTC-a rare sight those days! Didn't Monte Paul have a wife that was a singer or drummer? And I do remember Steve Silver-he was off the road with Barbi Benton and didn't have many fond memories of the gig.. Smile

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 10:26 am     Not too shabby!

...steel guitars, Ferrari 365 GTC, and Barbi Benton...
This has to be my favorite post in quite some time!

Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 4:43 pm    

Barbie, lol...what a time! I saw her on TV recently and she still looks like Barbie.

See my comments on the Stik under the Palomino heading. Those were some great times. Jerry, thanks for putting up with a guy who barely knew any of the songs. you know, I never knew you played steel till I ran into you on the forum a couple years ago.

SS

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 8:06 pm    

I guess I would have to say that a Ferrari 365 GTC is a rare sight anytime...LOL. Jerry, your memory is truly AMAZING! Do you have all this written down? I'm sure I met you during those times. Monte Paul, I remember I was playing with a girl fiddler Kim Angeles(Kay) early 80's in a band called Haywire. Our drummer was ill, we called Monte who couldn't do the gig so he sent his wife along...as I remember she hit pretty hard.
Steve, I'm sure you don't have any recollection of me, but how about some Barbie tour stories..I just remember speaking to you after that tour and you were not too happy about it...something about the dressing rooms you had your own and couldn't share? Sad

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 10:26 pm    

The Old Swizzle Stik when it sold it became The Yellow Rose Club.It only stayed open a few years.So many great little dives we had to work out of. The Fox C Lady,The Wheel,Good Time Inn,The Time Out,Uncle Ned's, The Hob -NoB, Green Door,The White Horse,Avalon Room,Heckey's. All them Eagles,VFW's. Leo

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 7:30 am    

Mark, you're right about Monte's wife. Her name was/is Jo Ellen and she's a right good drummer. On a rare occasion she might stop by and sit it and ol' Monte' would be grinning and beaming so much it lit up the room. You could tell that he was very proud of her and how well she played. When I was working at the Blue Bayou, she was playing in a small club next to it. I remember they (The Pauls) had an old antique Porsche which had a personalized license plate which read "WE DRUM".

Another memory of the "Stik" was meeting our late former Forumite Harry Hess. Steve S. was still working there at the time. One Sunday night which was our Jam Session from 8 to 1 AM the side door opened and in walked old Harry carrying an old walnut ShoBud rack & barrel D-10 already set up. He'd heard about our jam and came to play. He'd just hit LA from Austin, Texas and was looking for work and he did a great job as I remember. It was too bad about him passing away a few years ago at a very young age.

It was cool working with Art Sanchez also as he was a formidible steel player to say the least. Ol' Artie would take a cut on anything you threw at him and was a funny guy on the bandstand. I remember one night we were doing a fast bluegrass type tune and I played a guitar ride and then Art took his cut and smoked it! When he was done he looked up at me and said "Hey Jerry, the 'spic' can pick"........JH in Va.

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 8:27 am    

Jerry or anyone else following this-do you recall a club called Granny's Attic in Huntington Beach? It was right off the 5 on Beach Blvd. Around '75 I was in a group called Yukon Railroad Company, we had long running gig there 4 or 5 nights a week. I played PSG,Fiddle,and Lead Guitar. I was only 19 years old, all the other guys were in their 30's. Since I was underage, I wore sunglasses and a Hoss type cowboy hat when I played. We also had some buddys in a band called Leaky Canoe. They had a fine fiddle player Mike Kicenski-used to call him the "Flying Pollack". Well, we were long haired hippy bands I guess. And as you mention about the "Swizz" there were LOTS of babes around and other diversions..

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2008 6:31 pm    

Is this the same Mike Kicenski?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o24JEK9b9YY

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2009 1:39 am    

Just rolled in from my NYE gig....fine night. No PSG, American Songbook stuff on jazz guitar. I play a Eastman John Pisano thru a Schertler Unico..what a great rig!
Yes, Jason that is the same Mike Kicenski that played in Leaky Canoe. A shame the clip didn't go to his playing, he is/was a highly trained classical violinist that can burn down a fiddle. After he left Leaky Canoe he came out to Colorado and joined The Yukon Railroad Company as a fiddle, keyboard, guitar player. It was great because I was able to switch back to my Pro III and do cool harmonics-that's always a blast. As I recall we had some pretty tasty twin guitar stuff worked out too.
I think we had some contact a few years back, Jason, regarding John and Sharon Leighton and the El Monte/San Gabriel Valley country music venues in the '70. Were you working on a book at the time?
PM me if you remember.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2009 5:46 am    

Mike, that clip is just part one:
Part 2:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g5iJxtSVZsI

Mike, I do recall our correspondence, although it was a while back now.
I was in the midst of working on a book, I'm always working on a draft, but haven't really seriously been working it for some time.
A couple of tentative deals fell through and I decided to go back and re-work the whole thing.

I still research and track down info, but I spend most of my writing energies on working for a record label and picking any writing gigs I can get.
My text will accompany a couple of CDs out early this year on the Omni reissue label.

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2009 12:05 pm    

Thanks,Jason for sending part 2 of the clip. Mike was a pretty funny guy and liked to get some laughs with his humor. Under the act he was a very solid player.
It wasn't until recently that I realized through this forum how many players there were in that area during the 70's era around So Cal. The guys on this forum like Jerry Hayes were older than I was at the time and much better players. I was just a young pup. It continues to amaze me how many details some of these forum members remember along with photos, etc. Also, there was a rather obvious gap between the "legit" country talent that was well established and the young lions that were heading more towards "country rock" in those days. Fond memories for sure-no regrets of spending my time in "Honky Tonk University" as a wayward youth.
Good luck with your writing projects, Jason
Wishing everyone a wonderful '09!

Brandin

Newport Beach CA. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2009 3:04 pm    

Here it is today...

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2009 6:50 pm    

Gary, thanks for posting that. I almost went into cardiac arrest as I was so excited seeing the parking lot again that some of the most exciting parts of my love life took place in! Love those California girls, ain't nothin' like 'em....JH in Va.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2009 8:34 pm     Wester is bester

You should try Hawaii, Jerry. We get the Cali girls, the local girls, and all the rest.

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2009 8:48 pm    

As I recall, Virginia Beach has a pretty good selection of the fairer sex, especially if you have a Hinkley Bermuda 40, a Hatteras Sportfisher (a Post or Fountain will work also) and are using the ICW at the right time of year..on the Hatteras, just place your Emmons near the fighting chair and reel 'em in.
I have to agree,though-there is nothing like an island girl, a uke ( I have a six string Koa Mele- too poor to order from Steve Grimes), and a outrigger canoe to get your life in order.
Mahalo

Bonnie Longmire

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 6:36 pm     Granny's Attic

This morning I did a Google search for Granny's Attic and found this board. I am not a musician, but a big fan of good music.

I had the pleasure of working at Granny's Attic when Leakey Canoe and The Yukan Railroad Company played there. Both bands packed the house every week-end, and there was such a wide diversity of people who were your fans.
The night the Yukan recorded your album at Granny's was so much fun, and I still have it in my record collection. "Live from Granny's Attic, The Yukan Railroad Company!"

Mark, I remember you, but everyone called you Parkie back then. I also remember being in awe of your talent.....along with everyone else. You were incredible!
Do you still keep in touch with any of the guys from Yukon? Ronnie and Bob?

As I remember, the band left Granny's and went to Steamboat Springs, Colorando. We were all saddened to see you guys leave.

When Leakey Canoe split up, Mike was performing as a solo and he came back to Granny's. He is another incredible musician, and I was so happy to watch him perform on youtube. (thanks for posting the link)

Mike did a rendition of "The Thrill Is Gone" that was simply stunning. Granny's would be packed..... standing room only, and when Mike began to play this song you could hear a pin drop.

Do you remember Neal, from Leakey Canoe?
The last time I saw him he had a new band, and then I ran into him at The Golden Bear when I was working there. Maria Muldar was playing and her good friend, Bonnie Raitt joined her on stage for a few songs.

Mark, I am happy you are doing well and I want to thank you for giving us the pleasure of your music.

Take good care,
Bonnie

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 10:00 pm    

Jerry you are right about those Huntington Beach girls,Been married to one for 23 years,Still trying to ween her off sushi and getting her to say [YA'LL],She still likes her sushi,but knows how to [southern fry] my chicken, so every thing works out great. DYKBC.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 7:27 am    

Here a shot taken in front of the "Stik" with my trusty old red Gibson Trini Lopez model with a three lever Bigsby Palm Pedal. This would be around 1977 or so. Note the "leisure suit", we had about six different colors and had to wear 'em everynight except Sunday (jam session night) to make the owner (Paul Perrier) happy!.......JH in Va.

Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 7:43 am    

Here's my contribution....man, I hated those polyster suits too!

SS

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 11:19 am    

Hey Steve, I think we all hated those suits but you probably liked the hair, didn't you? Mine's all gray now, what color's yours? Also, that old ZB you had, that had to be one of the best sounding instruments I've ever heard, one sweet guitar for sure! Do you know who has it now?....JH in Va.

Al Meyers

Downey, California
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 12:16 am    

During my short stint at the Swizzle Stick, I rebelled and wore Lee Jean suites that sort of matched the colors that they wanted.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 8:24 am    

Swizzle Stick!
Sure, I worked there some in the Urban Cowboy days. Smokiest bar I ever played in...

Al Meyers

Downey, California
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 10:37 am    

It was smokey! I had to see the doctor because my respiratory system was really suffering.

Who out there worked with Johnny Davis?

Al Meyers

Downey, California
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 1:21 pm    

Thank you for the article, Jerry. I did not know that Roy Dee's full last name was DeSimone. We just messaged on Facebook.

First photo is Roy Dee and it looks like it might be the Amber Room in Westminster, CA. From the early to mid 1970's.

Second photo is Jerry Hayes, Roy Dee, and Buddy Emmons.

Last edited by Al Meyers on 3 Feb 2023 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total