The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lubricant for Harlin Brothers Multi-Kord CHANGER
Gloria Baldwin

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 5:16 am    

I’m refurbishing a Multi-Kord and not sure what lubrication to use on this super cleaned up changer. Of course I don’t have factory lubrication to last 20 yrs so what would I use now that it’s cleaned and free of oils? I’ve been reading so much about different lubrications and I’m totally confused. Need something that will stay lubricated when those fingers are pulled down from everyday pedal use, but what?
The springs in the back looked like they had a white grease on them that had turned orange and gunky over the years. I cleaned all that out. Important to keep those springs lubed up with something, but what??
Thank you,
Gloria

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 6:38 am    

90% of the responses will be to go to a dry lube such as TriFlow... Personally, if it were mine,I would use plain old ATF, or a light motor oil, even 3in1 oil is fine... Its all I have even used on any pedal steel, old or new, and never an issue, and for decades thats all anyone had, was plain old ATF or motor oil, and thats what the builders used as well..

Depending on the guitar, I have also used grease on extreme pressure points such as a knee lever reversing fulcrum, where oils rub off quickly...
So yeah, dry lubes are the in thing these days, but some of us swear by plain old oil...

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 6:42 am    

btw, nice clean up job.. consider this-That guitar was made in the 50's- It was originally lubed with oil, grease or both. For decade after decade, after decade... Those part are still here, and in great shape.. So in my opinion, that old "orange grease" did its job pretty well.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 7:03 am    

I’m another fan of a light oil, preferably synthetic; something like sewing machine oil or gun oil. I know there are fans of the Teflon products like Tri-Flo, but I don’t think they migrate well. (I also notice that most automakers and steel builders don’t seem to recommend the stuff.). Whatever you use, apply it sparingly, and only once every year or two. That should do the trick.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 7:48 am    

The Tri-Flow that I use is not a dry lubricant:

"Tri-Flow's unique coating action fills in surface irregularities with a combination of premium petroleum oils, micronized P.T.F.E. and extreme pressure additives which act to keep the P.T.F.E. in place for long- lasting lubrication."

" The drip bottle application, with a convenient straw, allows for deep penetration in hard to reach moving parts."

It has the benefit of Teflon and light oil in one easy application.

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Lubricate/Lubricate.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Gloria Baldwin

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 7:55 am     Lubrication for Harlin Brothers Multi-Kord Changer

Thank you very much guys for your reply. What weight of oil should I buy? If that’s what they used when they built the MK years ago then that’s what I want to go with. I was looking for input from Danny James as he knew the brothers well. I saw on a Harlin brothers pamphlet with instructions for care of the instrument to use a dripless oil. I actually found a dripless oil on the Internet and purchased it. I like the idea that they did not attract dust. it smelled so bad I had to throw it away. I wouldn’t even give that to anyone.
I broke the sixth pedal and it’s not fixable. If anyone knows where I can buy a six pedal that would be awesome.
Thank you again.
Gloria

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 10:50 am    

I use light gun oil. If I can put my life on the line with it I can trust it on my PSG. Now I will agree to the aurgument that I haven't owned a psg for more than two years BUT that's my theory. Plus it was also recomended to me by another player.
ps: My psg is an old BMI
Sam

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 5:53 pm     Re: Lubrication for Harlin Brothers Multi-Kord Changer

Gloria Baldwin wrote:
What weight of oil should I buy?

Don't concern yourself with weights. Those are temperature characteristics for engine oils, where the oil is pumped or splashed for lubrication.

Quote:
I like the idea that they did not attract dust.

Worry about lubrication and how well it works, not how it looks.

Quote:

I broke the sixth pedal and it’s not fixable.

Not unusual to break that long one, but just about anything mechanical is fixable if you know the right person. Have you asked at a welding shop?