The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Musescore3 or 4
Neville Robinson

Essex, UK
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 12:05 pm    

Does any one have any experience Musescore either 3 or 4. Is it good, bad?

Is it worth the money?

Any recommendations for notation transcription software for lapsteel?

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 8:16 am     Musescore

Musescore is open source - does that mean it's a free download? I have it on my machine and don't believe it cost me anything. If you are looking to make tab Guitar Pro is better IMO. On top of that the available fonts are an improvement as well. Tabledit is an easier to use tab program that is more steel guitar friendly for tab. If you're just looking for notation Crescendo is free and about as user friendly as it gets. If you're looking to publish instruction I would ask what your printer/publisher needs in terms of file format. Music XML files are not all created equal in terms sending them off to be printed or edited. I recently imported some files into Finale that were created in musescore and where grand staff notation - they came up as a 10 string treble clef!! There is no such thing!! Well there is now! hahahaha In answer to your question from what I have seen Musescore is pretty user friendly and any notation software will transpose to another key - transcribing from an audio source? - I think Guitar Pro is the way to go. It's $49? a year if I remember correctly and they do have a free trial version.