The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1501 vs 1503 Coil size?
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 7:48 am    

Will a 1501 speaker coil fit in a 1503 basket? Maybe the dimensions are different? 1501 aftermarket coils are available and I have two non-functional 1503's. The foam melted down into the coil on one 1503 and destroyed the coil while pulling the magnet off. The other 1503 came apart and cleaned, but the coil is rubbing. It would be great to rebuild the 1503's into 1501's?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 4:41 pm    

Hello Dennis. I'm not familiar with the 1503 speaker except for a couple pics I've seen posted here, but I don't believe that model was every intended for application as a steel guitar speaker. Only models I'm aware of voiced for steel guitar were the 1501 and the 1502 aluminum cap models.

I read somewhere that the 1503 was produced from 85 to 90. The very earliest ones had the flat magnet Spider Web black label.

In those models, only a basket from the Spider Web era will work on the flat magnet. The gap is too narrow for a modern Super Structure era basket.

OTOH, if your speakers are labeled Super Structure, a modern 1501 basket will fit. Of course, it's imperative that the coil gap be absolutely free from any sticky deteriorated foam
or other debris.

Generally, Black Widow magnets from the same era, will exchange on all sizes of single coil speakers. 4 in. is the coil diameter, but the width of the vc gap is different in different eras.

Even 1501 baskets are no longer available new, but a few come up on the forum here for sale.

I don't think there's anyone left at Peavey that can give you further information about these.

Forum member Jeff Maxwell has some experience dealing with Black Widow speakers so you might contact him if you haven't already done so.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 7:25 pm    

These 1503's have the flat magnet and aluminum dust cover. Too bad the 1501 coil won't work. I used to use a pair of 8 ohm 1505's for steel (PA speakers from early 80's SP-2's). The 1505's had cardboard dust covers, but they sounded great with a little more treble/presence setting from the Session 400.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 8:14 pm    

The old original style 1501 that was installed in the flat magnet will interchange, but good luck finding one of those.

I would still suggest Jeff Maxwell about possibly re-doing those speakers.