The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GL 710 high string buzz on Emmons LeGrande II
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 7:02 am    

I just replaced the GL705 pickups that came with my used Emmons LeGrand II and both necks have this high string buzz when picking them.
I have tried several string heights with no results.
I have checked my wiring and it all seems to be fine.

I changed the pickups on my old Emmons LeGrande II and never had a problem.
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
Don

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 7:37 am    

Maybe a bad batch of strings? A few decades ago, string companies were having trouble with a shortage of quality
stainless steel for a short time. I bought two set of GHS and both sets broke strings quickly and intonation would drop off as I moved up the neck. It was a nightmare. I don't remember a string buzz problem, but it could be a related issue with quality control? The only other string buzz issue I've had was when a slight groove would wear into the changer finger. Fine wet/dry sandpaper cured it.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Don Sulesky

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 7:51 am    

Dennis
I will give that a try with plain strings because they seem to be worse...
when I played them up at the 10th fret and above the string buzz seem to be gone.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 8:21 am    

Don. I understand and can relate to string buzz problems.

Some time ago I chased a buzzing problem and it nearly drove me crazy. Good luck, I hope you track it down quickly.

Don Sulesky

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2023 6:08 am    

The string buzzing is on both necks
so I doubt it is the strings.
I believe it may be in the wiring so I'm going to try
resoldering the wires in case I have a cold solder joint.

Don Sulesky

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2023 2:47 pm    

Update...
It's not the wiring...
I think I'm going to put the original single coil pickups back on the Emmons and be done with it.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2023 6:43 pm    

Let us know if that solves the problem. That's strange. Did you try a different amp? Or maybe the speaker?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 6:14 am    

This may sound strange, but my string buzz hunt turned out to be in my right ear.

After a lot of frustration and a doctor visit, my weeks of string buzz was an ear infection and swelling in my ear. Steroids for the swelling and antibiotics for the infection cleared it up.

I had no idea it would do that. I have had it happen a couple times since and it is after a bout with a cold or flu.

What should have tipped me off was the other guys did not hear it. But to me it sound like string buzz and it was intermittent and just loud enough to drive me crazy.

Don Sulesky

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 6:41 am    

It's not the amps or the speaker.
I even put some slight oil on the rollers, but that did not help.
I have just about given up.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 6:45 am    

The fact that it's both necks (both pickups) makes it seem to be a problem other than the guitar.

Don Sulesky

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 8:03 am    

I'll let you know after I put the original single coil Emmons pickups back on...1st I need to calm down for awhile.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 8:33 am    

You probably already tried going direct to the amp with no volume pedal or anything except a guitar cord between the guitar and amp? I had a similar problem years ago with a new guitar a few months after I bought it. I narrowed it down to the MSA Super Sustain pickup. Reece said, occasionally a pickup will develop a loose winding. He sent me a new pickup solved the problem. It would be a long shot to have both pickups suddenly start having a problem at the same time? You'll get it solved. Does anyone else with a good musical ear hear the buzz? However, many years ago, I took my Session 400 into an amp tech because I was hearing a slight distortion. The tech plugged a guitar into it and he couldn't hear it, but I could still hear it. He put it on a scope and found that it indeed had a slight distortion. I guess it was a case of country ears vs rock ears?

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 8:40 am    

Sitting alone at my computer with no surrounding sounds, I hear millions of crickets in the background. Years of playing and hearing loss. The good side of it, at night laying in bed it sounds like I'm sleeping under the stars. Soothing, like those cd's you buy for a sleeping aid with the night sound of a babbling brook, but mine is crickets way off in the distance. Laughing

Don Sulesky

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 9:11 am    

Dennis
I tried different amps and also with and without the pedal...same results.
My hearing is fine and I don't hear outside noises as you decribed.
I am relaxing now and will put the single coils back in.
Thanks for the input.

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 1:01 pm    

Don, possibly your ear does not like the way the stainless steel blades on those presents the highs. Obviously a ton of people love that pickup, but stainless blades vs carbon steel blades vs alnico rod magnets vs pole screws matters a lot in the perceived tone.

Don Sulesky

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 1:08 pm    

You could be right, but the 710's sounded great on my old 1999 Emmons Legrande II and I had no difficulty putting them on then.

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 1:17 pm    

I just realized you switched to the 710 FROM the 705, I read it as switching to the 705 for some reason, the 710 is already alnico rod magnets.

Any way the principle holds the different designs sound different.

One thing you could try is a different parallel resistance across the pickup, by using a passive volume pedal vs active, or maybe you have a preamp where this can be adjusted. Lower parallel resistance will smooth the highs out. You can literally just use a resistor soldered across the jack also, maybe 500K, does the same thing.