The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Affordable leg mount for Peterson Strobostomp HD
Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2023 6:24 pm    

Had been looking for a good way to do this and stumbled across this quick release phone mount. Works like a charm! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J9246GE

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2023 7:47 pm    

Yes! And also this is what I use for the strobo tuner (it has the threaded hole on its back).

But honestly now that the strobo clip can be loaded online with any sweetened tunings, and is the size and weight of a hummingbird, I just use that.

https://www.amazon.com/SMALLRIG-Ballhead-Multi-Function-Adapter-Ronin-M/dp/B00DJ5XH4O/

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 1:50 pm    

Jon, are you using the strobe clip on pedal steel? The Peterson site only shows sweeteners for lap steel.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 10:31 am    

Yes-you can hook it into the website and load any sweeteners, just like the strobo tuner. Maybe an updated (year or two ago) version of the clip tuner.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 5:50 pm     Re: Affordable leg mount for Peterson Strobostomp HD

Jim Pollard wrote:
Had been looking for a good way to do this and stumbled across this quick release phone mount. Works like a charm! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J9246GE

My Strobo Plus HD is 4-⅜" across. This phone mount opens only to 3.5". How are you fitting you tuner into this gizmo?

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 10:05 pm    

Jon, does the Peterson StroboClip HD come with a USB cable? Also, will it clip to the leg of your steel? I've been thinking about getting one for awhile now and it's good to hear about other pedal steel players using them.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 10:13 am    

Hi, Bob. The StroboClip HD can clip to the leg or the end plate or back apron. it does not ship with a USB cable, but it uses a standard one similar to the one for charging a smartphone.

You can go to the Peterson website with the tuner connected to your computer. There's a link "Visit User Trading Post" to get sweeteners posted by other users. There are 60 in the steel guitar section. At least one of the guys posted the Newman settings as "PE9." You can obviously create your own using the cool tool on the website and then download it to your tuner.

WARNING: in all talk about what a great, inexpensive piece of gear the StroboClip is, I will say that it doesn't work as well on the gig. As soon as another instrument starts playing, or the venue's sound system starts blaring between sets, the tuner struggles to find the note. My guitar's body picks up those waves and starts vibrating just enough to interfere with things. So, I can only tune at certain moments when conditions are right. Others may have had better luck, but I now think of the 'clip on' Peterson tuner as a "home and recording session-only" device. It's great in a quieter environment.

Bob Watson

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 1:51 pm    

Tucker, thanks a lot for your assessment of the StroboClip HD. I have the Strobo Plus and I have downloaded some of the custom sweetened tunings that have been shared on the Peterson website, so I am familiar with the process. For some reason Peterson doesn't mention the USB port in their description of the StroboClip, so I wanted to make sure that it had one and was curious to know if it came with a cable. I really appreciate your warning. I was thinking about getting one for gigs and your warning has given me second thoughts. Lately I have been initially tuning with my Strobo Plus at the beginning of the night and then using a Snark tuner and my ear for the rest of the night to touch it up when needed. That's been working pretty good for me. I think I'm going to stay with that setup for now. I might try the StroboClip someday in the future, as it does seem like a nice alternative in a quiet setting.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 4:19 pm    

The Strobo clip connects to the internet on a USB C cable (not the iPhone kind). You should have several of these lying around already. And you have to use google chrome or something (whatever it says) not safari if you have a Mac.

And you have to sign in, where your devices are shown, connect the smaller strobo clip and it should show up, and the tunings from your big Strobo Tuner are shown and you can transfer them-there's a way to do it I can't remember exactly. It's easy but not painfully obvious at first.

And Tucker is correct, it clamps on the leg and works fine. Won't work while other loud music is on. I tune between sets. $60 it's a no brainer- so light and small.

Bob Watson

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 7:51 pm    

Thanks Jon, I really appreciate the input that you and Tucker have provided, it was really helpful!

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2023 7:05 pm    

John McClung
The StroboStompHD was the subject Jim was speaking of..

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2023 7:57 pm    

If you really need to tune up while other things are going on then you need an input style tuner and a feed from your guitar. Essential as you are bound to break a string one day in the middle of set. The stomp not the clip on is the way to go. .

So regarding the original question a mount on the leg might not be the best option to active the stomp switch.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 11:16 am    

i have the peterson app on my i phone. with the matching adapter you can tune your guitar precisely even under noisy conditions if you have written down the offsets in cent.
i use the Strobo HD on my gigs with my own sweetened tuning that i have uploaded at peterson but the i phone works just as well.

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 5:43 pm     Re: Affordable leg mount for Peterson Strobostomp HD

John McClung wrote:
Jim Pollard wrote:

My Strobo Plus HD is 4-⅜" across. This phone mount opens only to 3.5". How are you fitting you tuner into this gizmo?

Sorry John, I've been on a west Texas trip and just now saw this. What I've got mounted is the standard 125B guitar pedal enclosure size.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 7:39 am    

I made one using a GeorgeL plastic leg clamp and some 1" x 1/16" thick angle aluminum and some rivets. Works like a champ. Turning on and off with foot switch by hand isn't a problem for me.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 6:04 am    

Here's a picture of the simple holder I made.

Note I've had the plastic GeorgeL leg clamp for years and I'm not sure if they sell it anymore.