The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Be Careful With Peavey Electronics
Harold Bullard

Harrisonville, MO 64701 USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 7:31 am    

Anyone considering buying from Peavey may want to reconsider.
I'll try to keep this short.

I ordered a Nashville 112 from Peavey on November 16 and they charged my card within 3 hours. $749. Over the next couple weeks I several times requested an ETA as I didn't want the amp to show up on my door step without knowing (things tend to disappear these days). I was finally told it was in stock but was on hold because of a problem with the card. I asked how can there be a problem since you were paid in full 2 weeks earlier. They agreed said they would release it for shipment. A few days later it arrived (didn't get a shipping email though).

Three days later I got a second amp and a second billing on my card. I asked why. They had no idea. I said I only wanted one so if they would send me a shipping label I'll send it back and they could issue a credit. They said it would be 5 - 7 business days after receiving the amp for the credit to go through. They received the amp on December 21. Today is business day number 17 and no credit. After numerous attempts and many excuses why, they finally stopped responding.

It's become clear they have no intention of returning my money.
It's a shame that the manufacturing process was shipped over to China and equally sad that their integrity went with it.

I guess I have some phone calls to make. My credit card company, the Mississippi attorney general's office, Better Business Bureau and possibly my lawyer and any other I can think of.

Needless to say I won't be buying any more Peavey products and I hope the SGF family has a better experience than I've had.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 9:01 am    

I'm very surprised to hear of your experience.
All my dealings with Peavey have been exceptional.
Erv

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 9:24 am    

Haven't bought anything Peavey since before they turned "To The Dark Side" and I'm happy with that. There's enough American Peavey kit on the used market to keep users well supplied.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 9:37 am    

Peavy isn't what it used to be since the move to overseas production.

This has been a discussion in the guitar community for a couple of years.
https://youtu.be/vpyfZ5KpQ_s
https://youtu.be/et7MYImbec0
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2023 9:21 pm    

@Bill Ferguson - This is something your friend Hartley may want to know about. The allegations are significant.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2023 10:06 am    

First, I will not make any excuses.

However, Peavey, like all companies these days, is having a manpower shortage.
Meaning that everyone is overworked and mistakes do happen.

I can assure you that Peavey is not trying to take your money or make you keep something that you did not order.

I have forwarded this post to the proper people at Peavey and asked for a prompt response.

I do not know if they are open tomorrow (Martin Luther King Day) or not, so please give them a few days to sort it out.

Thank you,
Bill Ferguson
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Harold Bullard

Post  Posted 15 Jan 2023 4:01 pm    

Thank you Bill. I am more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt. But when they stopped responding I'm kinda forced to form my own conclusions.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 8:43 am    

Harold,
You should be hearing from Peavey in the next day or so. Seems there was a glitch in their "direct" ordering system.

If you don't hear anything by the end of the week, please let me know.

Response from Peavey:

John Fields
10:05 AM (35 minutes ago)
to me

Amber is getting it squared away now. I will reach out to him once she confirms. Thanks for passing this on!
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Harold Bullard

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 1:48 pm    

Thanks Bill. I guess maybe the right person just hadn't heard of the problem.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 9:49 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
Harold,
You should be hearing from Peavey in the next day or so. Seems there was a glitch in their "direct" ordering system.

If you don't hear anything by the end of the week, please let me know.

Response from Peavey:

John Fields
10:05 AM (35 minutes ago)
to me

Amber is getting it squared away now. I will reach out to him once she confirms. Thanks for passing this on!

Bill, thanks for helping out! I have had direct dealings w/ Peavey myself in the last week or two. Purchased a reconditioned (turned out to actually be NOS 😄) Valveking 100 head from Peavey’s ebay store. After playing it a few times it began blowing mains fuse every time you flipped the power switch on. I was assured prior to purchase this amp was thoroughly checked by service department. I immediately sent a message on Ebay and had a response within an hour and was emailed shipping label for no cost round trip shipping to Peavey and amp will be repaired and returned ASAP. Their Ebay rep, Chris, was punctual, professional, and consistent replying to all my questions and problems.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 9:57 am    

Dave Hopping wrote:
Haven't bought anything Peavey since before they turned "To The Dark Side" and I'm happy with that. There's enough American Peavey kit on the used market to keep users well supplied.

Dave,
sadly most all of the “big” amp and instrument manufacturers, like so many American manufacturers of almost EVERYTHING have transitioned to “the Dark Side”.
And people also don’t realize exactly how incredibly much of our “raw materials “ those companies still actually producing stuff here in America need to make their end products still come from …OVERSEAS.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2023 7:28 am    

I just got word from Peavey that a refund has been issued.

Harold Bullard

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 1:10 pm    

The credit was posted on my account this morning. I want to sincerely thank Bill Ferguson and John Fields for getting this done. The situation was completely explained to me and I totally understand how this happened. It is very clear that this drug out because the right person had yet to know about the problem. My faith in Peavey Electronics is restored. Once again, thank you Bill and thank you John.