The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  pedal return springs???
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2023 2:46 pm    

Do I need these? I dont see them on some guitars. I am still working on my pull-release guitar and realized I probably need these, at least on the raises that need to return to a place in order to make clearance for the lowers. It seems I may not need them on the lowers as they remain under pressure. I added stops on both directions of the crankshaft travel. I am in over my head possibly with this project (still having fun though!) and I can't find much info about these. I know old Marlens used typical looking springs and early Sho-buds use torsion type mounted on the axle. Any help appreciated.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2023 4:11 pm    

They are generally a good idea. As you suggest, they ensure that everything returns to where it should, or if not you know the pedals aren't to blame.

Also, from the point of view of playability they serve to even out the required pedal pressures which might otherwise vary depending on what's on the other end.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 3:47 am    

I prefer not to have pedal return springs on a pull-release steel as a pedal constantly at the top of its stroke gets in the way (it only needs to be at the top of its stroke when its associated string is lowered)
As an example, I lower my 6th string (which is wound) a full tone, so there is considerable upwards movement of the B pedal when I lower the 6th via a knee lever. If the B pedal was constantly in this upwards position, it would make it very awkward to play.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 4:26 am    

My first guitar was a pull-release but I had forgotten all that stuff!

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 7:02 am    

richard burton wrote:
I prefer not to have pedal return springs on a pull-release steel as a pedal constantly at the top of its stroke gets in the way (it only needs to be at the top of its stroke when its associated string is lowered)
As an example, I lower my 6th string (which is wound) a full tone, so there is considerable upwards movement of the B pedal when I lower the 6th via a knee lever. If the B pedal was constantly in this upwards position, it would make it very awkward to play.

That is music to my ears! I really don't want to mess with these.