The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marrs
Benjamin Franz

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 7:53 pm    

What can you tell me about this Marrs? Era etc. it’s 8x3. Also, how easy would it be to source a knee lever kit for it? For sale local to me. I haven’t seen it in person, but it has apparently been in storage since the owner imported it many years ago, but not sure if the owner was the original owner. Seems to be being sold by the owner’s family. There are no photos of the undercarriage. Thanks in advance.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 9:49 pm    

Duane Marrs made some beautiful guitars in Madison Tn. Unfortunately he passed years ago. He was very involved with Sho Bud early on.As far as knee kit availability,maybe someone on the forum could hook you up. Good luck.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 4:07 am    

Benjamin , contact Jeff Surratt @ ShowPro Steel Guitars. He worked with Duane many years and I bet he could supply the parts you need.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2023 7:34 am     Marrs guitar FYI

Hey Benjamin! Just caught your post...can give you a little input. I had the very first Marrs guitar that was sold (ser#0002) and another one built a few years later. I see a lot of features on this guitar that are not original. Good news though, a number of features that appear to be improvements. The pedal board/pedals are not original, but a better design than the original. The surrounds over the pick-ups not original and not too sure that the changer fingers are original. They look like Sho-Bud fingers from the topside. The fretboards not original, and couldn't see where the neck selector switch is (usually on the tuner-side endplate. The alum rear apron plate looks right. Since we have no pics of the underside can't say much except I would bet that it may have been re-worked as well. Looks as though someone with knowledge made some very thoughtful upgrades to this guitar...it is really unlike any other Marrs guitars I've seen over the years, (appears to be a more recent build) and I was around Duane's shop quite a bit back then. This guitar could potentially be a good deal if the price is right (in the $2500US-$3000US range). If you can get more pics I'd be glad to offer further input. Hope this helps you out. Note the difference in the changer/fingers compared to your guitar from the one pictured. Respectfully submitted, RK

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2023 8:51 am    

That doesn't look like any Marrs steel that I've seen. Looks like Sho-Bud changers and whatever parts. I would classify it as a "home made" steel.

Benjamin Franz

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2023 8:21 pm    

Thanks for your input all! I had clocked that the changers look like shobud changers. I’ll try and get some more info and pictures from the seller.

Benjamin Franz

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 12:29 pm    

Calling Rick Kornacker! I managed to get some more pictures.

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2023 7:46 am     Marrs specs

Hey Benjamin! Just caught your post with the updated pictures. Underside looks original for the most part. Looks like the bellcranks are different from the earlier ones(Duane did change the design a few times). Everything underneath looks in good shape. Again, I would say that this would be a nice, albeit, unusual Marrs build for the right price. Nice looking axe all the way around! Sorry for the delay in response. Let me know how you like it if you decide to jump on it. Play Good! Best regards from stateside. RK Smile

Benjamin Franz

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2023 1:20 pm    

Thanks again for the response Rick! I was eventually able to see the guitar in person and I ended up jumping on it as it was in such great condition and a very reasonable price.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2023 2:33 am    

this is very late Marrs , looks like a very early Show Pro , looks to me like a transitional period Marrs-Show Pro guitar… I bet you Jeff Surratt put that guitar together … I’m pretty sure it is a great playing and sounding steel …

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2023 6:58 am    

That guitar just looks like it is ready to make some killer sounds! Hope you have fun!