The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Record separate instruments to different tracks
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 12:08 pm    

Is there any way to simultaneously record the bass, piano, drums and guitar onto separate tracks of a multitrack recorder?

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 1:47 pm    

I have before. I open the file in Realband and click on render, then save each track as an individual wav file. Then I would play each file in a player on the computer and record to separate tracks on recorder one track at a time. You have to hit play and record at exactly the same time on each track. This is on a Korg D888. All of this depends on the recorder and computer starting at the same time.

I think on a tascam such as a DP24, you can transfer the files into a song folder and load them from there.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 1:59 pm    

I've done something similar to Norman but I used computer based recording program (Cakewalk). Easy to line up tracks so they are all in sync.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 7:48 pm    

If you use Studio One, after you render the song to wav files, you just highlight them and drag and drop into Studio One. It takes about 10 seconds and they will all be in sync and each instrument on a separate track for you to mix/edit as you see fit.

To go to a multi-track recorder, there's several ways. Most are time consuming because they require you to record each track in real time. A simple way is to connect the output of the computer to an input of the recorder and solo each instrument as you record it to a track.

RC

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 3:12 am    

If you don't have a computer recording program, I'd go with the free Cakewalk (by Bandlab). Cakewalk is a full featured DAW and equivalent to the high end Studio One Pro version (or ProTools).

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 10:36 am    

How many inputs does your multitrack recorder have? The number of tracks you can record at one time will be limited to the number of inputs the recorder has.

For example while my Zoom MRS-8 has eight tracks it has only two inputs so I can record two tracks at the same time. On the other hand my brother has a TASCAM DP-24 with eight inputs and twenty-four tracks so he can record up to eight tracks at a time.

Computers use external audio interfaces to move audio in and out of the computer. Audio interfaces can have anywhere between one and forty-eight inputs in one interface. Most audio interfaces marketed for home studio use include either two or eight inputs.

Since you are asking this question in the Band-in-a-Box section of the forum I'm wondering if what you are meaning to ask is, "Is there a way in Band-in-a-Box to move the individual instrument tracks from Band-in-a-Box to a multi-track recorder?" The short answer is yes.

Every multi-track recorder I'm aware of has a way to import wave audio files. Band-in-a-Box can export each instrument track as a wave audio file. The complications are: the exported Band-in-a-Box wave audio files and the multi-track recorder song project must be set to the same bit depth and sample rate and there has to be a way to move the audio files from the computer to the multi-track recorder.

Your multi-track recorder may accept audio file imports on a compact disc or CD, memory stick or USB connection.

If the multi-track recorder reads CDs then your computer must have a CD burner that can create audio or data files. If your computer doesn't have one you can buy external CD burners online or at a computer store. You'll also need blank CDs.

Multi-track recorders have used compact flash, SD memory cards or USB memory sticks. Again, whichever your recorder uses your computer will need a matching reader/writer.

Multi-track recorders with USB ports usually just need a USB cable to transfer audio files. The computer recognizes the multi-track recorder as mass memory storage while the multi-track recorder has some kind of a file transfer setting.

Band-in-a-Box and your multi-track recorder have file settings that MUST match. The most common audio file setting is the standard for compact discs or 16/44.1 which translates to 16 bit depth and 44,100 sample rate.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 5:51 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
If you don't have a computer recording program, I'd go with the free Cakewalk (by Bandlab). Cakewalk is a full featured DAW and equivalent to the high end Studio One Pro version (or ProTools).

That sound good deal. If I didn't already have Studio One, I'd be all over this. I see that it comes with a lot of effects and virtual instruments. I don't see how they give it away for free.

RC

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2023 3:04 am    

Rick Campbell wrote:
Jack Stoner wrote:

That sound good deal. If I didn't already have Studio One, I'd be all over this. I see that it comes with a lot of effects and virtual instruments. I don't see how they give it away for free.

RC

Cakewalk, used to be called Sonar, was already a full featured DAW when it was owned by Gibson. When Gibson ran into financial difficulties Sonar was discontinued. It wound up being sold at fire sale price to Bandlab, that has other money making ventures. Cakewalk enhances some of those products. There is a small group of programmers, based in Boston, that maintains it and issues updates (generally every other month).

I bought Studio One Pro at a discount price when Sonar was discontinued but have never got into it with the resurrection of Cakewalk.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2023 8:00 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Rick Campbell wrote:
Jack Stoner wrote:

RC

Cakewalk, used to be called Sonar, was already a full featured DAW when it was owned by Gibson. When Gibson ran into financial difficulties Sonar was discontinued. It wound up being sold at fire sale price to Bandlab, that has other money making ventures. Cakewalk enhances some of those products. There is a small group of programmers, based in Boston, that maintains it and issues updates (generally every other month).

I bought Studio One Pro at a discount price when Sonar was discontinued but have never got into it with the resurrection of Cakewalk.

Jack,

That's really good. I know you've been a Sonar user for a long time and you've recorded a lot of projects with it. I'm sure you paid big bucks for the Pro Sonar version, before the changes you referenced. I can tell from your post that you're an experienced engineer and musician. I did a little reading on the Bandlab Cakewalk and its a very impressive full featured Pro DAW. I'm tempted to download it because the price is so good, but I'm too lazy to learn another DAW.Very Happy

RC

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2023 2:24 am     Re: Record separate instruments to different tracks

Roger Crawford wrote:
Is there any way to simultaneously record the bass, piano, drums and guitar onto separate tracks of a multitrack recorder?

Roger are you asking if you can TRACK all those instruments at the same time ( in studio) , the answer is maybe , but it is dependent on the Multi Track recorder or DAW Interface. How many INPUTS can be active at the same time ?

It is very common for many Stand Alone Multi Track Recorders to be limited to "TWO simultaneous live recording inputs" at the same time, (simultaneous) even though it has 8,16 or more tracks which you can record to, but only TWO at the same time. There are multi track recorders, such as the Zoom R16 , ( 16 tracks) which allows recording up to 8 tracks at the same time. All multi track recorders are not equal.

DAW's use external interfaces, some are limited to 2 inputs, some at 4 and others well beyond 4. Many retail studios have 24 or more available recording inputs.

To record Bass, Piano and Guitar at the same time to separate tracks, (in mono) you need 3 Inputs . Drums however is another scenario, how many mics will you use ? You need 1 input/track for each mic. 4 is common for a home studio. In this scenario you would need 7 available simultaneous recording inputs. Bass, Piano, Guitar and 4 mics for the Drum kit.

My own Home Studio, which is a Pro Tools ( DAW) has a 4 input capability. With that comes the need for 4 PREAMPS, one for each input, each instrument. Drums however, I use a Zoom R16 ( 16 tracks) with 8 available LIVE inputs at the same time. The R16 can also act as Control Surface to the DAW. It also records in WAV format, one separate track ( instrument ) per channel if need be. If by chance I use the R16 , it will track 8 instruments at the same time, creating one WAV file for each instrument. All of these files (tracks) can be sent to the DAW at the same time in a flash of a second !. I end up with a DAW session with 8 individual tracks . Let the fun begin !

If all this isn't what you are asking, then never mind ! Laughing See you in m May !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website