The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  4th string "twwwaaaang"
John Ciano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 5:04 pm    

Hello Everyone,

Hopefully I can get some input on an issue I am having with a twang in my 4th string on the E9 and 2nd string on the C6. The string blares out above the other notes of the chord and is quite harsh when played alone. It is not only distracting but it makes my brain bleed. I have an Emmons PP and play through a Tone Master Twin or Peavey 400.

An observation: I worked up Emmons' Sleigh Ride for a Christmas show and while working with his CD (and being irritated by the 4th string) I noticed that Buddy's 4th C had the same richness as my C on the 13th fret string 5. ??????????

I appreciate any ideas uzgize (a little Jersey Lingo) can share,

John

John Ciano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 5:08 pm     4th string "twwwaaaang"

To clarify I meant to say Buddy's 4th string C note had the same richness as my C note on the 13th fret string 5.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 5:31 pm    

Polish each finger with this a few times and polish out the grooves to a shine, and install some new strings

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 6:28 pm    

Ahhh, perhaps the dreaded 4th string zing.

Use the Forum's "Search" function. You should be able to find previous discussions.

Here is just one of them:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=118670

~Lee

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 8:08 pm    

It’s the beer string. You pick it and it goes “beeeeeerrrr”.

I agree with polishing. If that doesn’t work, 800 grit sandpaper, then polish. But be careful, there is an art to sanding those fingers without flattening the crown.

John Ciano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 12:13 pm     4th string "twwwaaaang"

Thank you gentlemen for the suggestions and especially the link where this topic was discussed thoroughly.
I was happy to find I am not alone and the trail has already been blazed for me. Fred, I will never hear those overtones the same way again, I will always hear beeeeeeerrrrr.
Truly a positive spin on the problem. On the flip side whenever I hit the string and hear that irritating beeeeerrrrr I am going to think "this is the wrong day to quit drinking".
John

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 2:03 pm    

Join the crowd John. I played for years on a couple different guitars before I started hearing that phenomenon.

Since the first time I heard it, I can't unhear it on several different instruments. I've tried everything that I know, changing strings, going to a 15 v. a 14. polishing, adjusting, spacing.

I believe it's the frequency...or perhaps the clashing of frequencies.

I did what Richard suggested with a very thin piece of vinyl wrap underneath the string that helped to mitigate the effect.

Find the thread by Glenn Demichele concerning the lengths some of us have gone to to alleviate this issue.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 4:20 pm    

Try picking over a different fret.
Move your picking hand a smidge (technical term) to the left or right.

~Lee

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 4:29 pm    

Happy New Year John.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 9:33 pm    

As a string is bent in the same small area time after time, Especially the 4th and 8th string, Being lowered and raised many times in a song. The metal in the string will WORK HARDEN in the small area of the bend. The first thing that happens is the string will stiffen, And not roll down tight on the finger, THE WIERD SOUND APPEARS. Any rough places on the finger will just make it more auditable.

I write my string change date on a set of strings, I keep in my seat. It seems at about 25 days, My live in Gremlin starts singing along with the 4th and sometimes 1st string. Time to change strings.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2023 8:08 am    

Great info from Bobby Jones right there.
I found a lot longer time before whinning on 4th string by using, like Paul Franklin does now; .015p. also .013p on 1st string. Also; every time I change strings; I do a rub with Scotch-Brite pad; and then polish with Mothers.
A quality Wire like Jagwire and D'Addario use; last longer than many other makers.
Ricky

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2023 3:36 pm    

Whenever this topic comes up (very often!) I always assume that a string change is the first thing the OP tried to do, and the problem still persists.

On one of my guitars, the aluminum from which the fingers were made must have been weak or something, because the plain strings just dug a trench into the crown of the fingers. The only way to get rid of the beer sound from strings 5-1 was to sand and polish the crowns. That would hold up for a couple weeks maybe, then it was time to do it all over again with new strings. Tried ALL KINDS of strings. Finally it was time to get a new guitar, which solved the problem on a more permanent basis.

Not saying everyone should do what I did, but it kept me from throwing the guitar off a cliff.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 7:27 am    

It’s kind of ugly but I put a little piece of paper between the string and finger. It gets rid of the buzz. It really does and, at least to my ears, doesn’t affect tone. After a week or so it wears out and I just replace the paper. Takes a couple of minutes. There’s no polishing or filing down the finger and no time spent doing that.

John Ciano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 12:09 pm     4th string "twwwaaaang"

Thank you again everyone for your input. I apologize for the late response as I was called out of town. I tried the suggestion of 800 grit paper and the Simichrome polish and
the sound is a million times better! Also the restoration of shine of the metal is remarkable.

Thank you all for being there!
John