The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons Xmas Album
manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 9:37 am    

Buddy`s album was/is a musical masterpiece. I am so grateful to have it. Back in the era when it was recorded, a local steel player, the late Joe Ferry commented that what he liked best was that Buddy stayed with the pretty melodies. I also purchased a Christmas album by Herby Wallace. Herby was in my mind one of the most underrated steel pickers. However, he was guilty of jazzing up the songs. About 20 years ago I had a Christmas tree farm where the customers heard Buddy`s album quite a bit. Yesterday, I had friends and family over for Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols. Using the album made for such a fun time. Some singers used cell phones for lyrics while singing along with Buddy`s playing.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 10:15 am    

Manny:

I agree! Buddy clearly set out to create a commercial recording and it's faultless, in my opinion. He not only plays the melodies, he defers to the backing chorus occasionally which gives his steel guitar even more impact when he comes back in. There are no wild forays into the world of alternate chords and country-flavored bebop! It's pure traditional music.

I've said this before, but his tone on the album is the most pleasing of any of his recorded work - to me, that is.

'Sleigh Ride' is far from being a favourite song of mine but his execution on that defies belief! Ever since I first heard it, I've tried to emulate his dexterity and intonation on that track: all I'll say is that I'm closer than I was thirty years ago.

Needless to say, it's in my car's CD-changer as we speak.

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 11:49 pm    

There was a lot more going on under the hood of that Christmas album than most steel players realize. This was back in the day when the IVL Pitchrider MIDI pickups were the rage....and a bit more expensive than most could acquire.

Buddy used his on this entire album.... Listen close and you'll hear snippets all over the record. Even the horse's neigh on the very first song.....LOL....!!

Joe Rogers

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 3:49 am    

Quote:
There was a lot more going on under the hood of that Christmas album than most steel players realize. This was back in the day when the IVL Pitchrider MIDI pickups were the rage....and a bit more expensive than most could acquire.

i'd like to hear more about this.

i only discovered this album this year and had to sneak it into our christmas playlist
(my wife not being a fan of pedal steel instrumentals...i know!).

Michael Harrington

Ann Arbor
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2023 1:40 pm    

Joe, I am also curious about this..
Can you elaborate more on the pickups? Very cool.

Michael