The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National New Yorker 7 String or ?
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2022 4:30 pm    

I've been semi-looking for a 7 string lap steel for a while and I just found out that National made New Yorkers in 7 and in 8 string models. Wow!

My Stringmasters have the 8 strings world covered. Still, a lap steel 7 string interests me (yes I know I can just take a string off of my Vorson 8 string lap steel and Bam! a 7 string lap steel).

My options seem to be are to have a builder make me a 7 string or find a National New Yorker 7 string or what? I see that post-war 6 string Ricks are reasonable but I am not sure what the 7 string models go for. I have never played a Bakelite steel.

I've listened to You Tube videos of the National New Yorker and I like their sound. Anyone here playing a 7 string version and can comment on the 7 string version? I assume that the scale is 23.0".

What would a "fair market value" be for a National New Yorker 7 string model in working condition? I am not looking for a museum quality copy that would kept under glass but one that I could take to a gig or jam. Given the current market conditions I assume the price would be 25% higher that they were 2 years ago.

My budget for a 7 string lap steel with a case is $1,300 max. Not sure if that is overly optimistic. GC has a 1940's Epiphone 7 string for $900

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Epiphone/Vintage-1940s-Zephyr-7-String-Lap-Steel-118125419.gc

Thanks!

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Justin Brown

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2022 5:43 pm    

Tony I sent you a message, might have what you are looking for.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2022 5:53 pm    

The 7-string versions (and 8-string versions) sound just like the 6-string versions from the same year. National stopped making 7- and 8-string New Yorkers by the end of WWII, so the later pickups aren't available with more than 6 strings. And yes, 99% have a 23" scale; some of the earliest had 25" as an option, but they're quite rare. With old New Yorkers, there isn't a significant price premium for extra strings the way there is for pre-War Ricks. I think your budget will do fine; you just have to find a 7-string.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2022 9:08 pm    

Gibson also made 7 string steels before WWII.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2022 5:12 pm    

John,

I've looked at some Gibsons and they are way above my budget. I guess when it says "Gibson" on it $$$ come to mind.

Thanks!

PedalMaster D8

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2022 6:18 pm    

John Rosett wrote:

Gibson also made 7-string Ultratones post-WW II. Not particularly common, but they're out there in both the first (white) and second (blonde) versions.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2022 6:31 pm    

Tony Oresteen wrote:
I've looked at some Gibsons and they are way above my budget. I guess when it says "Gibson" on it $$$ come to mind.

If you're handy with tools, have some space to work, and are looking for a (winter) project, it's not too difficult to make one from a donor body. Here's an Ultratone I converted a couple years ago:

(before)

(after)

It's not gonna win any beauty contests, but it plays nice and sounds awesome. 7-strings are just the ticket for A6 tuning, in my opinion.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2022 9:29 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
John Rosett wrote:

Gibson also made 7-string Ultratones post-WW II. Not particularly common, but they're out there in both the first (white) and second (blonde) versions.

Right! I forgot about those. I've also seen some other old 7 strings. Audiovox and Gretsch come to mind.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2022 3:09 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Tony Oresteen wrote:

If you're handy with tools, have some space to work, and are looking for a (winter) project, it's not too difficult to make one from a donor body. Here's an Ultratone I converted a couple years ago:

(before)

(after)

It's not gonna win any beauty contests, but it plays nice and sounds awesome. 7-strings are just the ticket for A6 tuning, in my opinion.

I can't handle any more projects Smile . I have 4 Stringmaster and 6 "regular" projects as it is.

Nice job on that restoration!

PedalMaster D8

Les Ford

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2022 5:09 pm     National New Yorker 7 String

They definitely made them:

[/img]

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 10:04 am    

I decided to have Chris at Industrial Lap steel Guitars make a 7 string for me. It is close to being done. 22.5" scale, Jerry Sentell pickup

While I would love to have a Pre-war National 7 string, taking it out to a gig would have me worrying about it every minute.

PedalMaster D8

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 6:38 pm    

I have a National NYKr 7 string if you're interested......

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 12:17 am    

Tony Oresteen wrote:
I decided to have Chris at Industrial Lap steel Guitars make a 7 string for me. It is close to being done. 22.5" scale, Jerry Sentell pickup

While I would love to have a Pre-war National 7 string, taking it out to a gig would have me worrying about it every minute.

Chris built me a 7 string a few years ago, also a 22.5” scale. It is a fantastic instrument. Mine has a humbucker with a coil tap switch.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database