The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keyhead Length
Nicholas Thomas

St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2022 9:34 pm    

Hello everyone, I'm thinking about starting a new build and its going to be nothing like I ever tried before, part of my upgrade from my pervious steels, I'd like to try and make a single one piece keyhead design instead of my three piece deign that I have now. I have an idea about some rough dimensions based on my tuners I'm choosing (Grover Sta-Tite) but I'd like to know what are some overall keyhead lengths are out there so I can see if there's sort of a rule of thumb and nail down my final dimensions on paper. Thanks in advance!!

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 7:42 pm    

Using factory keys, The key head length is set by the number of Strings/Keys, And the length of the Keys Attachment Backing Plate. The biggest thing to design into a Key Head is the spacing of the keys so the Cap Span shaft area of the key lines up with the width between the strings. The strings need to run in a straight line from the changer finger, Over the Nut Roller to its attachment at the Key Cap Span shaft.

If there is side pull on the Nut Rollers, The Roller will drag on the sides of the slots and not allow the strings to return to Open tune note exact.

Good Luck in your new steel project.