The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  All-Pull knee lever doesn't affect pitch
Daniel Paugh

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 4:21 pm    

Hi y'all, I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. I'll try to get some pictures up, but on my all-pull PSG, my LKR does not lower the pitch of my high e string at all. I've tried putting on new strings and I've adjusted the rods so that there's more than enough travel in the lever, the low e string lowers as it should and my LKL raises both my e strings as it should.

Please pardon my ignorance of the terminology, I'm just starting out, but I've noticed that although it seems like everything is moving from underneath the body, when I look at the peg where the ball-end of my string is attached, it doesn't appear to move up or down like the other strings do when their respective levers are pressed. I'm hoping that piece of information may be able to narrow down what's going on and what I could try to fix it. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 5:22 pm    

If the lever is lowering the Low E 8th string proper to note, The knee lever and cross shaft are working proper.

Check the pull rod and bell crank, Move the knee lever, Does the Cross rod rotate the High E 4th string Bell Crank, Or is the Cross Shaft rotating inside the Bell Crank?

Check where the Pull Rod attaches to the Bell Crank. If it uses a set screw in the Rod connection to the Bell Crank. If the set screw is not properly tightened, The rod will be sliding in the Bell Crank connector. Is another thing to check.

Good Luck in finding the problem and an easy fix.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 8:23 pm    

Does this guitar have split tuning? Is there an allen screw maybe recessed near the top of the changer that's screwed maybe most of the way in? If so it is possibly locking up the changer finger and limiting its motion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Daniel Paugh

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2022 9:17 am    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
If the lever is lowering the Low E 8th string proper to note, The knee lever and cross shaft are working proper.

Check the pull rod and bell crank, Move the knee lever, Does the Cross rod rotate the High E 4th string Bell Crank, Or is the Cross Shaft rotating inside the Bell Crank?

Check where the Pull Rod attaches to the Bell Crank. If it uses a set screw in the Rod connection to the Bell Crank. If the set screw is not properly tightened, The rod will be sliding in the Bell Crank connector. Is another thing to check.

Good Luck in finding the problem and an easy fix.

I appreciate the suggestions, I tried to follow them but I've got an update that may change things. After speaking to a retired local PSG mechanic on the phone and sending him some pictures, I've realized now that my PSG is a push/pull.

So far I've:
Backed out all of the raise and lower hex screws, backed off all the set screws until the bell cranks have play on the pull rods, tuned my open strings, then used the hex tuners and set screws to tune my A and B pedal, however I'm still having the same issue with my e string. I will post some pictures

Daniel Paugh

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2022 9:29 am