The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tips on where to buy my first pedal steel guitar (~$1,500)
Jordan Hargreaves

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 2:57 pm    

Howdy!

I'm new to the pedal steel guitar world and am looking for some tips on where to buy my first pedal steel guitar.

It seems like I should stay away from the Carter Start and Maverick, and instead lean toward something that has 3 pedals and 4 knee levers.

I am curious if there are specific pedal steel guitars for around $1,500 that y'all would suggest?

I'm leaning toward a Stage One or Justice Steel Guitar, but those are just recently mentioned brands that offer a pedal steel around my price range.

Do y'all have any tips for the best way to find and buy a pedal steel? I live in Portland, Oregon.

Thanks!

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 3:43 pm     Growler

Try Growler 10 string 3 & 4 $1395.00
growlersteelguitars.com

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 4:38 pm    

Not many stores have pedal steels on the showroom floor. They ARE mostly machines so it’s kind of like buying a lawnmower. A melodic lawnmower, though. Difficult to test drive one and even if you could it is hard to tell what’s good when you have no experience. Going by reputation is almost all you can do anymore. For fine workmanship, good design and great price it’s hard to beat a Justice S-10.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 5:39 pm    

You will need to replace a "starter" steel faster than you can imagine. I'd double your budget. There was an amazing, just delivered Williams SD10 that went on reverb and lasted less than an hour for $2900. Having just been where you are: spend the money and get a newish steel, well maintained, in the sub-$3k region. Save you a lot of hassle down the road. Think of it as an investment that you can sell easier if you decide you don't like it and not lose much if any money.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2022 6:13 pm     Steel

Bill McCloskey wrote:
You will need to replace a "starter" steel faster than you can imagine. I'd double your budget. There was an amazing, just delivered Williams SD10 that went on reverb and lasted less than an hour for $2900. Having just been where you are: spend the money and get a newish steel, well maintained, in the sub-$3k region. Save you a lot of hassle down the road. Think of it as an investment that you can sell easier if you decide you don't like it and not lose much if any money.
Trying to tell someone to buy a pro guitar when they are starting to learn a steel guitar is poor advice IMHO. The starter guitars are budget friendly and most will bring close to new cost when they are used. And trying to get someone to start on a pro model with all the extra pedals and knee levers is just going to make it harder for them to learn the steel guitar. I build budget guitars for a reason. People are not all rich and need a good guitar at a price point they can afford. Encourage people to start where they can afford to start. They will be more likely to keep the guitar and learn it if they are not trying to figure out how to make payments on it. all IMHO.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 5:04 am    

I only half agree with Jimmie. If someone can afford it, I also recommend buying a more "pro" steel. Extra pedals and knee levers shouldn't make the guitar harder to learn, just more musical options.

BUT... there is definitely a place for "starter" steel guitars. Not everyone has the money for "pro" steel guitars, but still has the desire. This is where a good starter guitar fits the bill. While I have never seen one of Jimmie's guitars in person, I have always been impressed with what I have seen and heard about them. I think his Growler would be a good choice. He has been building for a while, so I wouldn't be worried about it not functioning correctly because of the low price point. He has made quite an effort to get a good guitar into the hands of people who don't have the money for more expensive "pro" guitars.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 5:43 am    

"And trying to get someone to start on a pro model with all the extra pedals and knee levers is just going to make it harder for them to learn the steel guitar."

Based on my experience as a new player I would disagree with this. I think it is very important for folks starting out to have at least the standard 3x5 so that they can take advantage of all the lessons out there. Spending $1,500 for a steel you will soon outgrow makes zero sense to me. The best thing I ever did was buy a D10 with 8 pedals and 7 knee levers. It really doesn't take that long to adjust to the new pedals and not having the changes I see others play would drive me crazy.

The Growler has its place, I'm sure. But it doesn't come with a case, which would be a big negative for me. For me there is nothing like sitting behind a solid, great sounding D10 with lots of pedals and levers.

I started out on a pro Williams 12. I soon bought a D10 sho-bud because I wanted the C6 neck. I have now ordered a D10 Williams with 9 pedals, and with Paul Frnaklin's complete copedent. Having a great time.

For me: when it comes to Pedal Steel: more is more.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 6:55 am    

Didn't realize the Growler didn't have a case. But if I was just starting out now and my budget topped out at $1500 or less, lack of a case wouldn't necessarily deter me. After all, if I was just starting, chances are that I would not have to transport it anywhere. And a suitable case could be found or made. After all. The Carter Starter (🙄) came with a gig bag and sold quite well.

But I do agree with Bill M that if one is very serious about pursuing the PSG, they should buy the best they can, even a good used one. I had to finance,well my Dad got the loan for me as I wasn't 18 yet, my first PSG, and a few since then.

And instilling the thought that many pedals and levers would intimidate, confuse, and discourage a new player, may actually be what causes those thoughts in the first place. My first PSG, a ZB S10 came with 5p/2k. It didn't instill any of those thoughts in me. Within a year, I was having 3 more levers installed because I wanted to be able to do the things I heard on records. And I came from a drumming background with no stringed instrument experience or knowledge prior to starting on a National triple eight string non-pedal guitar. Heck, I found non-pedal steel more confusing and intimidating than PSG, as I was not able to get the sounds I wanted to play.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 7:10 am     pedals galore

Bill McCloskey wrote:
"And trying to get someone to start on a pro model with all the extra pedals and knee levers is just going to make it harder for them to learn the steel guitar."

Based on my experience as a new player I would disagree with this. I think it is very important for folks starting out to have at least the standard 3x5 so that they can take advantage of all the lessons out there. Spending $1,500 for a steel you will soon outgrow makes zero sense to me. The best thing I ever did was buy a D10 with 8 pedals and 7 knee levers. It really doesn't take that long to adjust to the new pedals and not having the changes I see others play would drive me crazy.

The Growler has its place, I'm sure. But it doesn't come with a case, which would be a big negative for me. For me there is nothing like sitting behind a solid, great sounding D10 with lots of pedals and levers.

I started out on a pro Williams 12. I soon bought a D10 sho-bud because I wanted the C6 neck. I have now ordered a D10 Williams with 9 pedals, and with Paul Frnaklin's complete copedent. Having a great time.

For me: when it comes to Pedal Steel: more is more.
I watch players that know what they are doing on a pedal steel. I see they have a steel with 9 pedals and 9 knee levers. I also see them playing them and the A&B Pedals and the knee lever that lowers the E strings are the ones that they are using to make music on the steel guitar. The rest of the pedals are mostly just a show for the ego of the player. All the extra pedals and knee levers is just extra tricks that are not really needed to play the steel guitar. So many instruments have NO PEDALS and they are able to play every song that has ever been written, The Smart thing for any person to do is get what they can afford. Then music will be fun with the instrument. Or we can tell them they need a $10,000.00 Emmons to start on and let the steel guitar continue to die. If you love the instrument them promote it so everyone can afford one.
Keep it simple soldier's.

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 7:18 am    

I've only been playing since last March but never for a second have I regretted getting a Justice as my "starter steel". I've been gigging it as well with not a single problem. http://www.justicesteelguitars.com/S10.html. For what it's worth I wish I'd take Ron's advice and gone ahead and gotten the right knee levers as well as the left, but only recently.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 7:23 am    

"Heck, I found non-pedal steel more confusing and intimidating than PSG,"

True that. I find playing my Alkire Eharp much more challenging the Pedal Steel. Grips are more difficult for one. I find Pedal Steel one of the easier instruments I've tried to play, once you get over how to use the pedals and levers which takes a couple of weeks to used to.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 7:34 am     steel guitar

Jim Pollard wrote:
I've only been playing since last March but never for a second have I regretted getting a Justice as my "starter steel". I've been gigging it as well with not a single problem. http://www.justicesteelguitars.com/S10.html. For what it's worth I wish I'd take Ron's advice and gone ahead and gotten the right knee levers as well as the left, but only recently.
Ron builds a great starter steel guitar. Glad you are enjoying the journey.
Keep it simple soldier.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 7:35 am    

To Jordan's original post.

Don't neglect the used market. It'll be easier to find a "pro" level guitar within your stated budget.

Always recommended to have a knowledgeable player in your back pocket to help assess the guitar before you buy, or, buy from a known, reputable entity.

Lots of helpful resources here on the forum.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 8:29 am    

Try Goodwill. Smile
Ery

Last edited by Erv Niehaus on 21 Nov 2022 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 11:34 am    

Good post!

Last edited by Johnie King on 19 Nov 2022 5:47 pm; edited 5 times in total

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 11:35 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
"Heck, I found non-pedal steel more confusing and intimidating than PSG,"

True that. I find playing my Alkire Eharp much more challenging the Pedal Steel. Grips are more difficult for one. I find Pedal Steel one of the easier instruments

I've tried to play, once you get over how to use the pedals and levers which takes a couple of weeks to used to.

Wow I want to know your method on mastering the pedals and knees on a D10 steel with 8&8 or 9&9 in two weeks.
That is a world record of some kind I do believe.
I have been playing for years and still have not mastered the A&B Pedals and E lower lever on a six string and ten string pedal steel.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 1:06 pm    

I never said “mastering”, I said getting used to. It isn’t difficult to get used to the pedals and levers. I hit them now without thinking. Mastery is a lifetime endeavor. But we are getting away from the topic.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2022 5:34 am    

Yep here we are down the rabbit hole yet again!
There is a TREMENDOUS amount of music that can be made with even two pedals and one knee. Get what you can afford but choose wisely. Get one that will allow easy add-ons later.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Mark Shuda

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2022 10:13 am     Carter Starter

I think the Carter Starter sometimes gets a bad rap. I think they are great little guitars for the money , providing they have not been worn out with massive use. Many players bought these new and abandoned playing after a few months. Plenty of good guitars on the market. The only real drawback is that the knee stop on RR lever is not solid. But if I am not mistaken Pastor Jimmie Hudson had developed a kit for this and it fixed the problem. A Carter Starter under $800
is a good place to start your journey. Can always trade up and easily recover your investment .

This one sounds OK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT1TvjnlYHM

The Great Terry Crisp!

Jordan Hargreaves

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2022 3:29 pm    

Wow! Thanks for all the great information y'all. Lots and lots to chew on here, and I appreciate everyone trying to help and guide me with the buying process. Thanks for taking the time to provide all the feedback and discussion! I'm feeling much more confident in finding the perfect steel.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2022 7:03 pm    

Jimmie Hudson can build an 3 an 4 Growler also.
With a full length body.

Last edited by Johnie King on 21 Nov 2022 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ryan Bateman

Alaska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2022 7:05 pm    

I’m in a similar boat as you and with a similar budget, and I ended up getting on the list for the next batch of Stage Ones. After doing some research it seemed like people universally consider the Stage One to be one of the best you can get for under 1500 so long as you’re content with the way it’s set up because it can’t be easily modified. They just started taking orders on the 20th and are taking 100 orders that will be filled over the next year. Not sure how soon you need a steel, but it seemed like a great option for me.

https://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2022 7:12 pm     Growler in stock

I have this growler 2 & 2 in stock. NO Waiting.
I also have the same guitar in stock in a 3 & 4 NO Waiting.
I build to order also in 3 weeks or less on most orders.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2022 6:17 am    

To lend weight, perhaps, to the argument for a basic 'starter' guitar, I firmly believe that spending the first twelve months on my ZB Student steel taught me to understand the open tuning much better than if I'd simply been able to lower the Bs, say, for a 9th chord.

A, B and lower the Es - there is a ton of music in that setup. And if, like me, you want to pursue more advanced chords (I was already a pro guitar-player when I started on steel fifty years ago), you'll find you have to think laterally and dig around a bit to find them. But they are there to be found.

I disagree with the suggestion that a loaded guitar being a salve for a player's ego. Advancing to a more complex setup is a natural progression and more available positions promote musical exploration....

...provided that you've learned the tuning first!

I'm tickled at the notion that the great Jimmie Crawford played a 10 and 10 guitar to satisfy his ego. Smile

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2022 6:51 am    

I had opportunity to play a GFI Student model, S10, 3 and 2.
Not a bad guitar for the money. It sounded great.
New, they are in your price range.
The only downside is accomplishing a raise and a lower on the same string on this pull/release design. However, it is doable. The one I had raised and lowered the Es with the two right knee levers and worked good.