The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Case or no case
Tommy Christian

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 9:39 am    

Excluding traveling players who have to pack up their guitars, Do you other steel players carry your steel in its case or carry it to gigs setup ready to play?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 10:07 am    

I know that some players do, but I never would risk it nowadays. I did it once, and considered my self lucky. I’ve been in my share of accidents, some my fault, and some not. But in a bad one, even the engine can be torn out of the vehicle, so spare me all the “I strap it down real good” stuff. All it takes is one mistake and you’re screwed. The legs, cabinet, and keyheads are particularly vulnerable when the guitar is uncased.

I’m also motivated by the fact that, according to insurance industry statistics, around 30% of the drivers on the road today either have no license, or no insurance.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 10:21 am    

I think twice before I carry it from one room to the next.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 11:04 am    

ALWAYS torn down and in it's case. Had a friend that had a really nice Sho~Bud D10. He had a Dodge van that he lined the inside with a quilt, leaned his set up guitar against the wall, and secured it with bungee cords. Some idoiot ran a red light at high speed and t-boned the van right where the guitar was. totalled both his van and his guitar. Put away in it's case it might have survived.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 11:43 am    

Always in the case, wouldn't want anything to happen to it.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 2:06 pm    

Always in a case.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 2:20 pm    

Just in case.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 5:06 pm    

If it leaves the house, it's in the case...

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 6:20 pm    

I gigged this MSA S10 for several years. It was heavy, And some gigs was only 4 miles from home. When traveling far I would case the guitar.

The closest the guitar came to getting hurt in the cover. I setup on stage and went to get something to eat, Came back and a fill end bass player was sitting on my guitar.

The cover has about 1 1/2" of padding, Crushed velvet lining, Marine Grade Nag-Hyde cover. The guitar set near unmovable in the back of a PT Cruiser, With amp and seat under the guitar.

In my younger days, I set the guitar on my shoulder and right hand grip on pedal bar. Could open door and go in without the guitar touching anything.

I have a twin cover for my present GFI, For jam 2 miles from home.