The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI pickup height adjustment
Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 11:48 am    

I'm trying to adjust the height of my GFI Expo S-10 pickup (it's the GFI-II) - but it seems like turning the four mounting screws either direction isn't really doing anything.

Is that not how you adjust the height? Maybe GFIs only allow for very subtle pickup height changes? I was trying to lower it to fit 2 quarters - but I just can't get it there.

I dunno - just want to make sure I'm not totally missing something - thanks thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 12:01 pm    

There is NO adjustment on a GFI. The 4 screws are mounting screws and just tighten to hold the pickup. As shipped from factory it is at the proper distance from the strings. I have seen some that had a pad attached to the bottom of the pickup to adjust height. I had two GFI's, an Ultra D-10 and an Expo S-10 with GFI II pickups and thy were both no spacing pad on the bottom, just the pickup mounted direct to body.

My current GFI, a new S-10 with pad (SD-10) came with a GFI III and it too was mounted directly to the body. I replaced it with a Lawrence 710 and it too is mounted directly to the body and its the correct height (distance from strings).

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 12:03 pm    

Travis, those are mounting screws. My Ultra SD10 4X5 had a piece o foam tape underneath to set the height. I just replaced it with a Lawrence 705 no tape and it does ok but sets a bit closer than the 2 quarters. You will strip the screws by trying to adjust.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 1:34 pm    

I would like to be able to set the height a little lower on my Ultra. I mounted an Alumitone and it is closer to the strings than I would ordinarily run it. The only way I can think of to lower the pickup is by routing the pocket floor deeper. ... But, I have not had any problems with it as is.

Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 2:20 pm    

Ahaaa - well that explains it! Thanks y'all.

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 5:34 pm     GFI pickup mounting

What Jack said. I replaced both Lace Alumitone p/u's on my D-10 Ultra with factory GFI II's. No problems with the height with excellent tone ability from my Quilter Steelaires.