The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  70’s Session 400 vs. 70’s LTD 400
Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2022 5:41 pm    

Hello Fellow Steelers,

I’ve seen some threads dancing around this specific topic, but not a dedicated one. And certainly not one I’ve found with the opinions or answers I seek. lol

Before y’all start yelling at me, saying that the 70’s Session & LTD 400 are the same circuitry. I wanted to disclose that I’m aware of that. I’m also aware the Session 400 is in a larger cabinet than an LTD 400.

All kidding aside, I was hoping some of you veterans could help me understand what “You” perceive the sonic difference is between the two amps respective to their cabinet size and specifically how “You” feel they respond and behave individually in a live mix/setting. I will add that I own a 75 Session 400 and gig with it regularly. I adore it. I’m wondering if the LTD 400 would be also worth having? The smaller configuration is appealing to me as it relates to weight, real estate and gigging. Not sure if I would be gaining or loosing anything tone wise?

**Not to include the 80’s Session 400 Limited, as I’m sure most are aware, that’s a whole different can of worms.**

I appreciate your consideration and thoughts on this topic,
Respectfully,
CS

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2022 6:42 pm    

Cody, I am the proud owner of a Session 400 limited because it was a Christmas gift by my unknowing wife. At the time Peavey was providing the backline amps and sound for the ISGC St Louis. For years I struggled with the tone and thought it was my lack of experience 9n the steel. I visited a friend and fellow steel player for a jam and he had several amps for me to try. I used his LTD and wow, the tone was marvelous. Of course it was not for sale. All I can say is it was better than my newer Session Limited 400 and any other Peavey I have played. The Nashville 400 is also a sweet amp from those I heard live. This doesn't answer your question but I hope it helps.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2022 7:19 am    

Nothing sounds as good for pedal steel as a mid-seventies Session 400. Of course, that is my amp of choice and that is my very biased opinion.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2022 12:27 pm    

I have both amps, and I've also owned a Nashville 400. The Session 400 has been sitting idle for a long time, it needs some repair work. I just haven't got around to getting it fixed. The LTD 400 is a great amp, lighter then the Session, and I prefer it's sound. All that said, I haven't done any gigs in quite a while and probably won't do many in the future, I could give you a good deal on either or both of the amps. Smile

Douglas Johnson

Knoxville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 1:34 pm    

I got a 1980 LTD 400 that I bought new. It has been my only amp since then. I love the sound and I do not plan to ever go with another amp. The only major repair is replacing the paper cone about 15 years ago.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 4:26 pm    

I have both. The LTD. is a combo, and the Session is a factory head. The Session is more versatile, since it can be used with nearly any 4-ohm load that can handle the power. That being said, they sound more alike than different. Both are worth having, in my opinion. I've never played my mid-seventies push-pulls through any amp I've liked better.

Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2022 4:39 pm    

I'm just an amateur hack but all I'm going to say is there is a steel player here in Michigan who plays a pair of bolt on push pulls through a Silver face Vibrosonic who sounds simply amazing! I wish I could play like him. The Peavey amps are a distant second to the sound he gets through Fender tube amps......not even close. It's like magic when a PP goes through an old Fender.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2022 2:31 pm    

Brett Hansen wrote: "It's like magic when a PP goes through an old Fender".
TRUTH!

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2022 10:44 am    

I have both- bigger cabinet= bigger sound. That said, this past summer I did at least 5 gigs, sometimes more, per week and the LTD never left the car except to go up on the bandstand.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2022 1:05 pm    

I have both in cabinet models as well as Fenders! Much easier to haul the LTD's to different gigs, but a house gig would be different. But always have an LTD on standby! Different groups make making choices on amp!😀

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2022 6:05 pm    

I highly prefer the LTD. It’s not as boomy. For my money an LTD in a chair is perfect.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2022 7:06 pm    

It’s not an exact answer, but I had an LTD years ago, it was a beauty, it had a JBL and it flaked out with a spike input to the speaker, and they were frail, a black widow fixed that and made it bulletproof. The later session 500 was the warmest of that series, however with the fat cab it was heavy. 😊