The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fairchild Resonator
Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 8:28 am    

Anyone have any knowledge about the Resonators built by Ray Fairchild? There isn't much info out there.

Thomas Engleman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2022 7:18 am     Ray Fairchild

Tom Engleman here. Ray and I have been good friends for a lot of years. Ray started build instruments over 40 years ago. His instruments are up there with "big dogs".Ray always loved to build, but had little ambition when it comes to advertising and selling his instruments.
I have four of his Dobros. A quilted maple that Ray built for himself probably close to 20 years ago. I also have a koa, only one of two that Ray built. Also a spruce top with Brazilian rose wood back and sides and the only total Brazilian rose wood, fron, sides and 4 piece back. Ray also bult a number of dreadnaughts....Martin equivalent and A and F style mandolins. Ray's health has been failing the past 2 or 3 years and presently he is not building due his health issues. I believe he has at least seven guitars and Dobros in process but I'm not sure get to complete them. Ray lives in south whitehall Pennsylvania ( Allentown). Over the past 5 years I have been helping Ray sell his guitars. Since 2018, I was able to help him sell 7 guitars.
If you are interested in talking with Ray let me know and I'll connect you. You can also feel free to contact me at dobrotome@yahoo.com or mobile phone me at 610-216-0374.
I'll try to attach some photos. You can also find me at Resohangout.com or just google dobrotome and surf from there. There are photos and mp3s at the "hangout" for your viewing and listening.
Regards,
Tom

Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2022 11:02 am    

That’s great info. There happens to be one for sale not to far from me for a good price. I have to sell an amp of mine first. Unfortunately the current market isn’t helping. I don’t currently own a resonator, but played both a beard vintage r and a gold tone beard recently. The vintage r was so much clearer and better sounding to me that I became convinced I that I want a certain quality right away. I’ve been playing music for over 30 years so I’m not new to good tone. This Fairchild caught my eye, and I like the idea of a custom build like it. Looks great too. If I can pull the money together in time, I may run it by you.

Last edited by Alex McCallum on 10 Nov 2022 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2022 11:15 am    

I wonder if Ray got his start at Martin guitars? Martin is very close to Whitehall. In fact where I live is pretty close to Ray. I took the Martin tour 4x now and the clothes pins are the way they do it also. Thanks for posting Tom.