The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Patches for Boss Katana
Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 7:05 pm    

Are there any pedal steel patches for pedal steel. Most of what I can find are distorted and overdriven patches.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2022 5:41 am    

Charlie,
Here’s a teaching I did for the steel guitars of Nashville on that amp. Maybe it will help.

https://fb.watch/gG5qdEHfWE/

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2022 5:56 am    

Charlie, I used Ron's video and got some decent tones. For me the bass set less than full. What improved my experience was the Katana app on my tablet. There I can alter the mid frequency and the effects then save it to my library. Boss has a tone studio for your computer that works well but a bit tricky to load the 1st time and set up the actual amp to receive it. I'm happier with the app. I know there is a way to upload my settings to the tone studio but I haven't explored that yet. If so, you will still need your computer or tablet or smartphone to get the patches installed.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2022 11:38 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Charlie, I used Ron's video and got some decent tones. For me the bass set less than full. What improved my experience was the Katana app on my tablet. There I can alter the mid frequency and the effects then save it to my library. Boss has a tone studio for your computer that works well but a bit tricky to load the 1st time and set up the actual amp to receive it. I'm happier with the app. I know there is a way to upload my settings to the tone studio but I haven't explored that yet. If so, you will still need your computer or tablet or smartphone to get the patches installed.

I have the Tone Studio and the Librarian but I'd like to see if there are patches proprietary to the pedal steel. I've downloaded a few that I thought might work but they take a lot of tweaking to get anywhere close. Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2022 11:43 am    

Unfortunately that seems to be the case for every patch I've found. I still used a Line 6 pod for effects and what few steel patches I found were not good.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2022 1:15 am    

My two cents- LOL as usual. Laughing I picked up a used Katana 50 a bit over a year ago. I like it just fine as a small amp in the right "venue"

I spent gobs of time with patches , downloading, adjusting, tweaking etc...Then I wrote 3 or 4 patches that were close- "almost acceptable" , I even acquired the foot switch. My thought process was that I don't need to carry a small pedal board anymore. An interesting thought. I was replacing a small pedal board ( with foot switches) with an amp Foot Switch. LOL . Very Happy

SO , after some time, which I can't get back, I reverted BACK to my small pedal board and only use the K-50 in the Clean Mode. Sometimes I use the K 50 amp reverb, sometimes not, to me its acceptable.

The small pedal board I mostly use is the Boss BCB 30 , it holds 3 BOSS pedals. But if you cut out the "inner plastic" with a Dremel tool it can easily handle 4 or 5 pedals, depending on the physical pedal size. I have 4 in mine, two are double sized. Nux Atlantic Delay/Reverb, Wampler Dual Paisley Pedal, half sized Tremelo and a half sized BIG SCREEN Tuner. I can replace any one of them with another in seconds if need be. Point here, there is nothing inside the K50 or on any download that can equal what I have in the small pedal board. FOR ME.

I think the K 50 or K 100 are nice , reliable , low budget amps that perform well in the right venue. They have pretty good clean volume in the clean mode , but for me thats where it ends.

When I stopped trying to make it more than a nice low budget , light weight clean amp, which is what I wanted, thats when it became a quality tool.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dave Falk

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2022 5:46 am     Boss Katana 50 tone

I also have the Katana 50, and struggle to find a clean sound......a bit too much distortion for my liking. However I have never tried the updates......just using the stock settings........the Clean setting is not clean enough to my tin ears.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2022 11:41 am    

Charlie,
Here’s a teaching I did for the steel guitars of Nashville on that amp. Maybe it will help.

https://fb.watch/gG5qdEHfWE/

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2022 2:24 pm    

Thanks guys I’ll try all this stuff.

Dave Falk

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2022 8:04 pm     Re: Boss Katana 50 tone

DOAK!.....as soon as I moved from clean to acoustic, I started to get cool clean tone.........thank you kindly.

Dave Falk wrote:
I also have the Katana 50, and struggle to find a clean sound......a bit too much distortion for my liking. However I have never tried the updates......just using the stock settings........the Clean setting is not clean enough to my tin ears.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2022 6:13 am    

Dave, I also use the acoustic setting to build my patch. Again the best improvement came with using the Katana app and tweaking the mids and the effects.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2022 6:21 am    

I've downloaded a few patches and the best that I've found so far is the Deluxe Reverb in Fender Sneaky amps. It's dry so you can add reverb/delay and just tweak the tone a bit and it's adequate.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2022 8:22 am    

Charlie is that amp patch on the Boss website ?

Tony

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 4:01 pm    

Tony Dingus wrote:
Charlie is that amp patch on the Boss website ?

Tony

No, if you go to the facebook site”boss katana patch central” , in the file section it’s under Fender Sneaky amps.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2022 7:51 pm    

Thanks Charlie.

Tony